Thread: is the CCE cert the best to get into the field?

is the CCE cert the best to get into the field?

I have a master in computer and systems science and thinking about taking the CCE, Certified Computer Examiner (http://www.certified-computer-examiner.com) and the training for 4 months online that they recommend, is this cert the best to get into the field of computer forensics? The course and test seem to be very good cause there are mostly hands on training and also on the cert, but is this cert a "well-known" in the field?

tnx in advance!

Banned
    Greetings:

THESE are the companies that you want to get your forensics training from:

My First Pick:
    http://www.forensics-intl.com/

or

My Second Pick:
    http://www.digitalintel.com/

Digital Intel has a crappy website, but they are the makers of FRED. Fear FRED!

Does anyone know anything regarding compu forensics certification? Their site is crappy, but so is digital intel's. It's being offered near me, which is why I ask.

http://www.compuforensics.com/

Computer Forensics
    I will be attending the forensics-intl training next month. I'll tell you how it goes.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I got my CCE after taking courses from Intense School Bootcamps. My instructor was Warren Kruse, who wrote the book "Computer Forensics". Warren has his CCE, as well as a ton of other certs. Warren emphasized one point in his class - get instruction that is not tool-specific. Getting certified by Encase is good, but if all you ever took is forensic classes by Encase, all you know is their software. No one tool is perfect and you need to use multiple tools to analyze a case. When I took my CCE exams, I used all kinds of tools, including Encase, FTK, DataLifter and other utilities, to pass. The CCE process didn't advocate one tool or another.

From what I've seen, you need to get into either law enforcement or corporate information security to get experience in forensics. And it is very catch-22; you can't get job in computer forensics unless you have experience, and you can't get experience unless you are working in the field. And experience is more than just the technical aspect; most companies want someone who has a proven track record in testifying in court, which are most likely to be cops. I think that computer forensic companies in general would rather train a cop in the technology than train a computer geek in evidence handling and testifying.

George Shrout
    CCE, Security+

Computer Forensics
    /me chuckles...the guys at NTI trained Warren.

I'm considering going for mine..I just have to get the money together..
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

shroutosaur,

tnx for your post! I have been starting taking the forensic online course from Key Computer Service and Im happy so far. Can I ask you if you have got a job in computer forensics? And if you did, do you have any good advise?

I will be mailing out jobaplications and my resume soon, but as you say it is really a catch 22. And here that I live there are only the police and one more company doing forensics. The other is doing it at their security departments and Im chansless to get a job there without the experience.....