Disable Dr Watson

Thread: Disable Dr Watson

Disable Dr Watson

Although he has good intentions, Dr Watson annoys me. If you want to disable Dr Watson then do this:

Start Regedit

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion\ AeDebug

Set the string Auto=0

To re-enable it:

Start > Run > drwtsn32 -i

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    why would want to disable it? can u tell me what purpose it serves? thanx bye.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

fyrewall,

You surprise me mate! Sure I know DrWatson, but I allways recall having to switch him ON, rather than off?...............there used to be a little icon in the system tray?...........bloke with a stethoscope?

You have got me going now............"Quincey" (Quincey Jones M.E.)............a similar diagnostic for Lotus Notes?

Please get back to me, as I am curious as to which OSes actually run it as a default. What you are saying is quite correct...........why run a debugger type program when everything is working?......maybe I have been instinctively killing him without realising it .....please remember that I go back to the days when having 16Mb of RAM meant that you had your own office, a secretary, a company car and so on.......

TEX

"Dr. Watson" is a bit of MS diagnostic software for software system failures. The name comes from the great novels of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle regarding the legendary British detective Sherlock Holmes. He had a sidekick called Dr. Watson (errrrr like "book him Danno".......now that DOES date me )

I am now about to write to the heirs of the late Sir Arthur, and suggest that they sue William Gates III for copyright infringements (copy to "bollokbrane" and all heads of far eastern governments)

What I am wondering is: could SCO be an acronym for Professor Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes' arch enemy and master criminal).........will Canada lend me the Niagara Falls....or do I just need a drink? (I need to go and re-read my Sherlock Holmes, that is a fact!)

Yeppers Johnno, you need a drink or three.....but why do you want to put water in it, ugggh.

I'm not aware of the Dr. ever being turned on by default in any OS, but I do know he can be a bear to get turned off once you have hime on. But I think I turned him off the same way I turned him on (in XP) the last time I had him on, and that was in services.
    Note--It might have been turned on by default in Windows ME, a very screwed up OS.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

mox~

Shame on you sir! you have forgotten your Sherlock Holmes............Professor Moriarty descended to his death from the Niagara Falls........only to emerge many years later in Redmond............

When will you Americans stop confusing facts with fiction?.................next thing I hear will be that you have the vote ?

/serious bit of post

Yes, I am not aware of the automatic enablement of Dr. Watson............certainly not in Win3.1x through to ME.............and WinME does NOT have it auto enabled. I know that NT4 does not, neither does NT5(Win2000)...................I am not that sure about later releases.............I could have inadvertently taken an option?

The only Windows I have before 3.11, is 2.03, and that does not even have Dr. Watson

Can anyone clue me on that "Quincey" I mentioned........the spelling may be wrong?............I am sort of thinking Lotus or IBM?

Cheers

Found this http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;188296

If you scroll down the bottom it tells you all the Os's it is relavent to

Also you may wanna check out this link

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

Cheers Mate!

It WAS NT4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and NT5

With the greatest respect to you Sir, I would slap your programmers round the head...........I got that advice from one of my small, local, marsupial cronies............we have a nice colony of red necked wallabies (I think they are Tasmanian in origin?) Australian friends tell me it is like Tasmania here, climate wise?

Basically, we are talking an interactive debugger? (Dr. Watson?).............I agree with you, you only run it when you have a problem.

I have spent many a happy hour interpreting Dr. Watson logs
    If your stuff is running OK it should not be a problem, if it keeps appearing then you probably are in trouble?

I guess that I have an open mind on it...................maybe it has been replaced by these "phone home" whines you get in XP?

nihil - the "Quincey" you're asking about is indeed the Lotus Notes app (qnc.exe)