Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVs for corporate use

AVs for corporate use

Hi.
    Which programs can you recommend to buy for using in service? Do you know some program that can be runned from simple USB disk?
    // too far away outside of limit

OK

Please let me get this clear in my own mind................you want to be able to go to a customer's machine and run an AV scan on it?

1. What operating systems?
    2. How many customers?
    3. How many client devices?
    4. What kind of malware (virus/trojan/spyware/adware)?

Cheers

Also, do they all have CD/DVD drives, if they have USB, they ought to? I work on the principle that the more complicated you make it look the more you can charge?.............

BTW in Narnia, USB is an acronym for "Usual Stupid Bollocks"

Aslan has spoken

To those who do not understand the deep humour here........the authour is C.S.Lewis

Try ISBN 0-00-711730-2

"The Chronicles Of Narnia"

Once a Sysadmin in Narnia, always a Sysadmin in Narnia.................................

OS = Windows based platforms = 9x, ME, W2k, XP
    Customers = about ~200 - 1 000
    Devices = ~300 - 2 000

All unwanted programs (vir,spy,toy,troj,adw) + optimize of system

Mr Babis,

Firstly, let me thank you for your tolerance of my apalling English humour

OK, we don't need to think USB.....................if I can put you something together on a CD/DVD, that will do? Maybe that is the solution?

I am thinking that CD is around 700Mb, DVD around 4.7Gb and USB around 256Mb (until the prices get silly)

If you agree, I shall work on a solution for a 700Mb CD................I have been meaning to consolidate the several CDs that I use anyway............

If we can then fit it on a USB device...............it does not matter?

Cheers

Some USB is now bigger then CDs or DVD.
    And also IDE to USB switches so if need so I can use Harddrivers as USB disks

I using now:
    DrWeb console scanner
    Kaspersky scanner
    McAfee console scanner
    Sophos scanner
    + Ad-aware

All this + some more stuff I have on my 128 MB USB disk. = It makes simple and fast to update defenitions throuth console, wget in bat file + unzip = auto update
    Just in extremly cases when USB not supported I burning files to CDs

I dont realy know what and need some help.
    I am instressting if you know if "panda" have some console scanners

I using console and need programs for console and USB for fast auto update

Sir,

I shall do my utmost to supply you with a solution by Friday of this week.

I have noticed that you have changed nationality

I guess that I have also, and for the same reasons................I only retain my flag because it is the one they will see flying from our tanks

And people questioned the American Presidential Elections??????????????????

ACK!

Has Kerry endorsed the new Ukrainian "puppet"? or is that a rude question?

i don't understand the thread.? ;-(

you want to run AV off of a USB drive - right?

You need the OS.

What I sometimes do is use a live cd linux distro - "Knoppix" - boot from it and scan the local drives - be it windows or *nix volumes.

How effective and the *quality* of anti-virus removal that this procedure provides compared to running an AV scan/disinfect from a reputable vendor (lets say symantec or mcafee) which require the boot of the windows OS ---> that remains to be seen. and can be debated.

as we all know - your anti-virus protection is only as good as the *quality* and update version of the virus signatures and/or scan engine. as many studies have shown recently, there also seems to be a wide range gap in the *quality* of virus removal/protection by the different anti-virus vendors. meaning, not all anti-virus software is created equal and just because you are paying for it - does not seem to *guarantee* that it will protect your machines.

IMHO, the linux/knopp combination is an experimental procedure and should not be used in a real production environment where real users exist and the possibility of a virus infection can cause real down time and possibly cause you to loose your real JOB! stick to the reputable vendors. if nothing else, at least you can shift the blame onto them for not being able to provide you the protection you paid for.
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"

I need Antivirus programs for service, to clean other computers. And I know that not all AVs is good to desinfect, that becouse I using few updated AntiVirus programs and one bootable CD in some cases.

But what should I use more? Exist other AVs that can be used without installation for console/dos mode?

Hi MrBabis,

Sorry for the delay in getting back for you.

I think this might be what you are looking for?

http://www.centralcommand.com/08032002.html

This is the Vexira AV rescue disk system. You can put it onto a CD, DVD, set of floppies, so I assume onto a USB device. In other words, any bootable media.

The best bit is that it is MULTIPLE Platform and file system (Windows, *NIX, NTFS, FAT), which seems to suit your requirements?

Cheers

EDIT: The tool appears to be free, and you can always add other tools to your media. Like secure~ I looked at a *nix solution, but think that this seem a better choice?

good post nihil. greens given.

:-)

btw - are these the same people who make/used to make "command antivirus"? i used to use that product in the enterprise - it used to crash anything and everything in sight!
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"