Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealing Meta Tags

Question Concealing Meta Tags

Hey there,

I am wondering if there is any way or method to conceal Meta Tags or the HTML Cods from being revelaed in the Source window. Or are there special characters or tages to be usesd to serve this purpose?

Thanks a lot for help.

Cheers,

Just Another Geek
    Why? I know a few tricks but trying to hide HTML is a futile exercise.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    As far as hiding them-no. But prevent others from understanding them yes. You can encrypt the source by using a program like this one http://www.antssoft.com/htmlprotector/index.htm

Haven't used it myself but seen the byproduct of it, very interesting.

Just Another Geek
    You'll only prevent a total n00b from snooping around...

It has to be decrypted before your browser can understand it. Therefor anyone can decrypt it and read it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    yes, very true. But in all truth that goes with anything- a person that knows what he is doing right will get past any measures.

Banned
    Use Flash or something of that extent to hide your work is what'd I say but that too is pretty easy to abuse, but SirDice is right, it's futile, your browser has to understand it thus you will be able to find the source one way or another.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The question really is:-

What are you putting in the Meta tags that you want to hide?

answer is.......?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ninja Code Monkey
    Considering what meta tags are generally used for, trying to hide them is stupid. If you are putting something there that needs to be hidden, you're putting that information in the wrong place.

You cannot hide what you are sticking in the web page. You can raise the bar a bit but for the most part it is far more work than it's worth, and most of the solutions that will be provided here are complete and utter crap (especially encrypting the html).
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    and most of the solutions that will be provided here are complete and utter crap
    I can't agree more....

The most common use of meta's is to publicise something, why would you want to hide that? Then there's the ability to determine what robots can do.... You either want that or you don't, if you don't then don't include the tag.... there are other ways to look at the site without being a robot. Then there's authoring info etc. Well if you don't want it to be public don't put it out there....

The more I think about this the less I understand the question... Web pages and their content are public if you stick them out there on the internet.... If you don't want it public don't put it out there.... No matter what you do it's out there "swinging in the breeze" for all to see....

More information as to _why_ might help but for now you have me, (and some others I'm sure), stumped......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

If you wish to hide META tags, dont send them in the first place! As far as doing it in falsh, or even java applets, it only tags 2 minuates to decompile either.

Follow a simple rule if you do not wish a user to some information, do not send it to them.

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"