Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Linux work on my laptop?

Question Will Linux work on my laptop?

Well the lowdown is that I want to get rid of windows xp pro. I am sick of all the problems that arise with it, and the fact that they fix it by restricting what we can do on our own os. Especially SP2. You need SP2 to be more secure but they restrict you from doing many things. Especially sending information through raw sockets. So I want to switch to linux. Here is where I think I might hit a problem. My laptop was designed for Window XP it even has a sticker on it that says so. It is a Toshiba Satellite A75-S206. It is running a P4 and a ATI mobility Radeon 9000 gcard. It has some weird sound card I think Realtek. And of course its touchpad and a few other things. Will it at all be possible to even get linux drivers for this laptops hardware.

Here are the detail specs for the laptop A75-S206
    ~Tek~

all windows computers come with a sticker that says "designed for widowns blah" it just means it has the capability to run those OS's. It will also depend on what distro of linux you are going to run, but you shouldnt have trouble finding drivers for most of the things on your laptop, Im sure your not the only person using linux on a laptop. What distro were you looking at specificly and maybe some mebers can point you in the right directon of where to get drivers.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Well I am looking for a free distro. So I was leaning more toward Debian I think as it sounds really nice to work with in any situation.
    ~Tek~

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    There are a lot of free distros out there. Visit either Linux ISO or Distro Watch. You can also find specific help (based on distro) at Linux Questions Forums.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes but what if I can't get the drivers That could put me at a halt.
    ~Tek~

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uh... that's what the Linux Question site is for. They can help you with that. The power of linux isn't the distro but rather the impressive knowledge within the community.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

For a Toshiba Laptop go with SUSE Linux Professional. You'll have too pay but at least it has drivers and Tools for Toshiba.

Ok but the price is rather steep I am only a freshman in college that can barly pay his car insurance lol.
    ~Tek~

Try getting a refund on XP pro

I never bought XP Pro I bought a license for it and used my uncles disc.

However, since you said SUSE fully supports Toshiba computers then maybe the $60 is worth it.
    ~Tek~