Thread: need help installing linux on a drive using DDO

Question need help installing linux on a drive using DDO

I have been having problems installing linux on my computer, I have a Super socket 7 mobo and it will not support my 80 gig hard drive so I had to install the segate DDO and use the drive limit jumper on the HDD. now when I go and try to install linux it installs fine, but then when I reboot it freezes when loading the bootloader. Are there any ~CHEAP~ ways of fixing this or any thing? oh and I did try the boot disk for linux and that also did not work. Any help would be appreciated.

oh And I have tried to install either Mandrake 9.1 and RedHat 9 as they are the only ones that I have, and I only have aa 49.6k dialup so I cannot dowload any other versions without taking abouta month or more to do so.
    Life\'s a Dream, Wake Up!!!!!!!!!! -Zelfaldor

Banned
    i always heard that operating systems (mainly windows95/98) didnt support larger than 30gig drives. but i guess i learned something new. have you tried making multiple partitions? it might fool your box into thinking its 4 20gig drives....

my problem is my Bios does not support drives bigger than 32 gigs, and there is no update availble to fix this. there fore I am forced to use a DDO which fools the bios but allows windows os's to see the full drive, but now I am trying to install linux and be able to use the entire 80 gigs. but linux dosent like the DDO and when linux installs it destroys the ddo and then the bootloader dies when trying to load .

karmine,

Fdisk update

http://www.fdisk.com/home/
    or
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q263044

On this particular box I dual boot a 120gb hdd and an 80gb hdd. With SuSE & Win98se, XP & Slack. They are partitioned into 40gbers and work fine with no loss of hdd space.

Zelfaldor,

The problem: "The DDO(Dynamic Drive Overlay) must be loaded during the boot sequence, where it installs a small program that replaces some of the BIOS's drive access services with its own routines. In order to access the drive, the user must boot from the drive in which the overlay is installed"

Use a boot manager and install lilo on the linux boot partition instead of the MBR.

cheers

edit: Anticipating next question.....

XOSL - GPL (free)
    http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

DOS, Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP, Linux, BSD, BEOS, Solaris, VxWorks

Connection refused, try again later.

Thankyou Reylt, I will try this. I will let you know what happens. ( if it dosent work You just might hear the explosion of me killing my computer with some "left over fire crackers' from the 4th of july.

are you using lilo? installin it to the mbr?

deftones12,

Zelfaldor: I had to install the segate DDO and use the drive limit jumper on the HDD. now when I go and try to install linux it installs fine, but then when I reboot it freezes when loading the bootloader.
    Lilo and DDO don’t mix.

After the BIOS bootstrap(gotta love the old phraseology!) runs, BIOS acquires its next instructions from the Master Boot Record located on the first physical sector of the first bootable device (floopy, CD, HDD, whichever). Since we are talking about his HDD, obviously then it is the first sector of the hard disk. And of course Lilo is loaded there. The problem is that in order for DDO to always be loaded at boot up, DDO changes the MBR by adding a driver at the very beginning! Thus the conflict.

http://storagereview.com/guide2000/r...s/overDDO.html

The software must be loaded immediately when the machine is booted, to ensure that the driver is in place before any other piece of software tries to access the disk. Otherwise, the disk will not work properly.

CHEERS

Banned
    you could always rip out the bios and solder in a new one

karmine,

you could always rip out the bios and solder in a new one
    If you really believe that is a valid avenue he should take, explain why such a drastic measure is a better idea than installing a free boot manager. Additionally, why not instruct him on how to do it.

Quantity and quality in a post, creates a better learning environment for all. There seems to be an over abundance of one-liners showing up lately that do not possess either of those traits.

cheers

Originally posted here by Relyt
    karmine,

If you really believe that is a valid avenue he should take, explain why such a drastic measure is a better idea than installing a free boot manager. Additionally, why not instruct him on how to do it.

Quantity and quality in a post, creates a better learning environment for all. There seems to be an over abundance of one-liners showing up lately that do not possess either of those traits.

cheers
    *Flush*