Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DR.Web v 4.32b Review

Thumbs up DR.Web v 4.32b Review

Dr.Web Antivirus V. 4.32b

Installation:
    Installation was quick and smoothed and registration was easy. The wizard guides you step by step.

Resources:
    After reboot my resources were at 90%......this is excellent especially for older pc with not a lot of memory. Dr.Web is very easy on resource consumption.

Resident Modules:
    There are (3) resident modules which are placed in the task bar by your time clock.
    They are Splder Guard - DrWeb Scheduler and SplDer mail.
    A.) SplDer Guard - When you place your mouse over this module it shows how many files scanned and if any are infected. By right clicking on this icon you can access 7 features: Settings,update,scanner,language,statistics,about and to purchase. This makes it very easy to access these features without opening the main interface.
    B.) Dr.Web Scheduler - This allows you to set up tasks to suit ones needs and schuedule scans at different intervals.
    C.) SplDer Mail - This controls your email scanning protection. By double clicking this icon you can access the settings for this feature, and are able to teak the settings if need be. This module also allows you to access all the features as SplDer Guard module does.

Main Interface:
    When you first open the main interface, Dr.Web scans the memory/processes for any infections. This I find very practical and essential. Dr.Webs main inteface is easy to use for the novice and advanced user. To scan your C drive simply highlight Local Disk C and click scan. Now it took 1 hour and 10 min to scan my hard drive 29,540 files. It left no stones unturned. The current data base is almost 60,000 virus's DrWeb will detect. Heuristic Scan of course comes in to play on virus's in the wild. From other reports on this issue DrWeb has a good record.

Conclusion:
    In my opinion the choice is yours. There are many antivirus softwares on the web, each are good in their own right, this just depends on what your looking for. However
    DrWeb is a excellent antivirus software, this is my first impression. Low on resources, easy to use, has a sustantial data base to protect your pc. I will do further testing as to the Heuristic protection within the next couple of weeks. Dr.Web is a winner for sure.

http://www.drweb.com/

Hmmmmmm,

Don't always go by what it says on the packet

Now it took 1 hour and 10 min to scan my hard drive 29,540 files
    So it is going to take about 2.5 hours to scan something that AVG takes around 15 minutes? I am NOT impressed. I am basing those estimates on a PII/266/128Mb with around 72,000 files...........full scan, scan all, deep scan, scan inside compressed files etc..........everything "on" in other words.

EZAV gives around 25 minutes for the same task.

I do not see DrWeb as doing that better or even as well as other AVs in recent tests?

I seem to recall that DrWeb came with AdInf and something else a while back? I believe it was a conglomerate from different Russian suppliers. In those day AdInf acted as a checksummer, so if a file had not changed, it did not need to be scanned. It worked real quick back then............but it seems to be past its sell by date.

Anyway, it is from Russia, and until they butt out of supporting undemocratic elections (Ukraine) I shall not purchase ANY of their produce....................not even their ageing and rotting Baltic Fleet.

My views............

Thumbs up Dr.Web Antivirus v 4.32b Database

For all are members this is a addition to the review on their new release. The question was brought up as to how many virus def Dr.Web detects. Here is the direct quote from Dr.Web.
    ======================================================================
    > Well, we have as many as 60000 records in the virus defs base which
    > actually means really nothing. There is only one point of comparison
    > with other AV products - we have a very compact base and small add-ons
    > which makes us fast and not resource consuming. The exact number of
    > viruses that can be detected using our definition base is exceeding 100
    > 000 - but the figure is of little use to those who are professionals of
    > the market. Better to detect just one which is the utmost issue today
    > and miss thousands of others never appearing in the wild than score on
    > zoo viruses and miss that one

Dr.Web official Release Statement on v 4.32b

We are pleased to announce the release of a new 4.32 version of antivirus products of the Dr. Web® family. A painstaking work of the large development team on this version gave rise to a renewed, more handy and reliable antivirus solution.

The new version of the antivirus engine, used in all our products, allows to detect a great variety of the mostly spread viruses and their modifications by a minimum entries in the virus base. The Dr. Web® heuristic analyzer has much been optimized for detection of malicious programs unknown before and you can feel fully armed against the new waves of contemporary virus epidemics.

The virus database update system for all our products has undergone profound changes. From now on, all users can automatically obtain updates from the World-wide Dr. Web® update system based on several servers located in Canada and Russia. The updates issued by the laboratory of Doctor Web Ltd., are preliminary tested on a great deal of «clean» files, which dramatically decreases the probability of «false alarms». Thus, you have at your disposal a more reliable and perfect virus databases updating engine allowing to receive protection from new threats just in several minutes the respective update is released.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You told me to read your original "review". The question is: which one is it? Here, here or here? The fact that this appears in at least 3 different forums makes me think this is spam. It may not have been intentional but when you post the same topic in three different posts rather than doing it on one thread... makes it look odd.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I remember more about this product, but it was some time ago..............the company marketing it was Dialogue Science, and it came in a number of modules, one of which was an integrity checker.

The Russian site is http://www.dials.ru/

It seems rather slow on first examination. The acid test would be the interactive protection and heuristics. On speed alone I would just run Trend Micro's Housecall and Panda's online scanner.

EDIT:

This is the virus bulletin's record of the product. Not terribly impressive?

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv....xml?drweb.xml

Dr.Web Review

MsMittens:
    Of course I have it posted in 3 other forums in fact I belong to 6 and they are also posted there!! That is the purpose of reviewing and evaluating security software. If I had a web site I would only post it once, but I don't . I have been evaluating and testing for over 4 years now and have posted in all the forums I belong to.....this way my results receive the most exposure for the members. Where have you been????? Its obvious you know nothing about testing or evaluating software. Other associates of mind whom also do the same follow this same path......its normal and accepted. Spam???? Far from it. If noone would test and evlaluate this would leave the novice and as well the advance user to wonder and question how a software works and performs. I do not receive compensation for what I do....its a passion of mine. I do this in my spare time on the weekends. My reward is to give back to those on the web that need help and are searching for answers. I have had in the 4 years runined 2 other per pc of mine due to bad software and bad programming. Repair costs came out of my own pocket. Your point of view is without substance and credibility Im sorry to say. End of discussion.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    TSR, I'm sorry but I'm merely stating what it looks like to me. It's hard to say on the Internet who is who. Why you had to put all of these comments (including the official release section from the drweb.com website) under three threads here at AO (and particularly the "Official Release Statement" -- for some reason I can't see that as being your own unless you are a developer for them?!). To deal with this I'll merge the threads into one, which makes it easier for someone trying to find info on this product.

If it was just the review, I don't think it would have been a big issue but the other portions just stood out like a sore thumb...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

MsMittens:
    Thank you for understanding, did not mean to get gruff on this is, I appreciated your response. In the future I will post 1 thread with all the goodies on it at one time. If I were on the other shoe I would question the same, I understand your point. Have a nice week MsMittens:-)

TSR,
    End of discussion.
    That's completely inappropriate BS and you definitely do not have the authority to enforce it here. So I won't belabor that point.

However, since we are keeping this thing alive, there appears to be a real shortage of reviews of DrWeb. Thus skepticism is born.

One of the very few reviews listed by google, that had more than one reviewer, was CNET and then Dr.Web only had a 57% approval rating and the 43% nay-sayers said:

"Too many false alarms!"
    Although Dr.Web comes in second in virus detection (NOD32 is 1st), it generates too many false alarms.

"i hate this product"
    i have several unwanted trojans and viruses i am trying to rid my computer of and this product totally wasted my time!

"This program CAN'T be removed once you install it."
    This program CAN'T be removed once you install it!! After downloading and installing on two different computers I find that when you click to uninstall this program it tells you: The log file C:\program files\DrWeb\DRWEBui.isu is not valid or the data has been corrupted. Unistallation will not continue.

http://www.download.com/3302-2239_4-10266533.html
    Now I don’t neccesarily give much credence to those comments because those folks obviously had other issues. But are there other creditable independent reviews of the product?

You had also mentioned that
    “Of course I have it posted in 3 other forums in fact I belong to 6 and they are also posted there!!”
    What/where are the Forums so I can see what they had to say about the product?

I'm not out to hammer the product, rather just interested.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.