Thread: Tracing Static IPs ?

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Question Tracing Static IPs ?

Ok i have been thinking on this frm last night n couldn't come up with any idea so i thought i should ask u STUPID ppls. (Refer my Signature For STUPID meaning)

Anyways suppose u r running windows 2000 server and clients using differnt OS say suppose 98 and 2000 professional. U have assgined static IPs to the clients. Suppose 192.168.1.1 for server and rest to clients. Now wht i want to know is that suppose that the server IP has changed to something else say suppose 192.168.0.1 is it possible at client side to know the change i mean is it possible for the client to trace the change made by server.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

If it changes subnets, then it will need to know how to get to it. (router)

The client won't know its new address unless it is told. (arp, dns, netbios)
    But it will still need to know how to get to it. Which route to take.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    So this means without any router they wont know wht the hell has happened with them.
    Ok But dont u think so there must be something other than router that would come into play in this situation..... I mean clients should have some mechanism for knowing this change..... Wht abt sniffers sort of thing. I know sniffer wont work cause u r not on that subnet. but still i am curious to know why ...... may be im askin DUMB question here but can't control on my thoughts have to get the answer is it possible or not if not then why n if yes then how.......
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Just Another Geek
    Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Yes, maybe. The client and the server would need to be UPnP enabled.

http://www.upnp.org/
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Using just he information you provided the answer is no. For two subnets to talk you need a router to connect them. If your server only changed IP, and not subnets then as long as your clients aren't looking via IP address then it is possible to track it. If they use DNS or some sort of name resolution, maybe ARP, then they would obtain a new address either when DNS is updated or when the server broadcasts is new address.

I'm not sure of your overall goal here so this might not help much. You could setup a router to connect the two subnets, or change the subnet mask on the clients to include a broader subnet. Either way tracking the change won't help if you still can't contact it.