Thread: floater.exe virus or just a program?

floater.exe virus or just a program?

Hello all!
    I was just looking what processes were running and i found one strange: floater.exe
    I did a search in google and there was written it is a virus. On another paga it was written that this is a process from the program PIVOT PRO??? I have that program, it came with my LCD monitor Samsung SyncMaster.
    Can someone tell me how to understand if that process is a virus or it is just a normal process?
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

Just Another Geek
    I guess it depends on the location where the file is installed.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You might also right-click the filename on the hard drive and select Properties, then Version. Toggle through the Company, File Version, and other items. This will give you an idea if the file is the real thing for your portrait LCD monitor. Especially check the Original Filename. Some trojans and hacks will replace legitimate files on your system. However, the Original Filename will show "mIRC.exe," "psexe.exe" or something to that effect. These may not be picked up by malware scanners because they are legitimate programs.

Another way of looking at it:

Is PivotPro in your startup list, if it isn't then none of its processes should be either. I have a pivoting LCD screen and I have to deliberately start the software.

A useful tool is WinPatrol from BillP studios. It lets you examine and suspend things, amongst a variety of other features. If PivotPro is in your startup, suspend it and reboot. If your proggy comes back it is almost certainly a bad guy.

just a thought

thank GOD. i did the same what Soda_popinsky said: It is not a virus.
    I did the same what rapier said, and i did the same what nihil said: it is not a virus. YAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Thank you guys!!!!
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.