SUSE shoots, SCORES!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SUSE shoots, SCORES!

SUSE shoots, SCORES!

http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf...7?OpenDocument

Hehehehehehehhehehehehe. Choke on that Gentoo and RedHat.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You'll be coughing up the $160 then huh Gore.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey Hey,

The impressive thing about the way that SuSE is marketed, or protected, or liscensed I guess... is that it's a free OS still, even the professional version.

I spent hours on the phone with a SuSE rep trying to hammer out a deal to provide SuSE 9.1 Professional to about 500 students a few months ago... But we had crossed wires in our conversation...We ended up working out SuSE Enterprise Server with a few other items thrown in and then they just added SuSE. 9.1 Pro... The price..$1.79/student. Then the SuSE rep realized that we only really wanted SuSE 9.1 Pro and informed that we could purchase a single copy (or download it) and distribute it as we see fit. The reason is that 9.1 Pro is still entirely free... they charge for the support. When you fork out that $160.. it's for the support, the box and the media... We ended up purchasing a single copy rather than downloading it, to so at least some support... but it's something that really surprised and impressed me about them... I think that more Operating Systems should follow this line of reasoning.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

HT:

Hows it's native support for laptops and linksys cards etc..... Is it a jump through hoops thing or a simple install and run thing?
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

For around $160 (not sure on the New Zealand to US Dollar rate) I will give it a try, I am paying around $250 for XP Pro..................

Wait, wait............my AO decoder ring is bleeping.............an urgent message from the maws of Hell?.......the IRS want to take me to lunch?...............hold it folks while I go check....................

Hah..................S*C*O* (sorry folks, I had to censor this post, there are people without Coronor's certificates reading it) will give me $100,000,000 and unlimited file swapping amnesty if I allow them to give me their Unix products.............(damn I forgot to ask if they were talking US, CAN, AUS or NZ..................what is it about "NO" that they don't quite understand?)

On a serious note, yes, I know that purists might say that this is "prostitution" or whatever. My answer is that this is probably the only way that the open source community will get taken seriously.

The "older" management want a viable business partner and a CONTRACT.............Billy Windows has played on this fear for so long?

Nice heads up..........thanks Gore

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    You'll be coughing up the $160 then huh Gore.....
    That would be Enterprise Server, the Professional edition is 99 dollars and yes i will be coughing that up.

The Enterprise Server version of SUSE is still cheaper than the Desktop version of RedHat. And if they make the price 160, fine with me, I paid 300 for windows 2000, and that's only a Desktop, SUSE comes with server stuff.

For the other question about SUSE on Laptops, I installed it on mine without a problem, and you can use YAST2, which you update security patches and things with, to actually download Wireless NICs drivers and the Nvidia drivers for video cards.

They aren't allowed to put them on the CD like any other Linux isn't allowed to do, but they will download and install them for you.

So Tiger Shark, if you have problems it's because you don't know what you're doing, at which time for 10 dollars, you can drive north for 20 minutes with your laptop and I'll do it for you.

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    HT:

Hows it's native support for laptops and linksys cards etc..... Is it a jump through hoops thing or a simple install and run thing?
    Hey Hey,

It loves laptops.. APCI works wonderfully... I'm actualy responding from my Laptop running SuSE 9.2 Pro right now.

As for linksys.. they have no native linux driver support... My first wireless card was a USB Linksys device.. I could select usb (just generic and it worked fine)... then I get a linksys PCMCIA card... if you use ndiswrapper (simple install) and use the Windows driver... again I was up and wireless in about 5-10minutes including compile and download time... Now I've got a Cisco Aironet 350 series... and it detects it automatically when I plug it in... and adds it.. The only difficulty I'm having now is accessing a Protected EAP AP and that's only because I'm new to xsupplicant (a program which adds peap access to linux)... and that's not SuSE's fault... I work in an MS Environment and the only problem I have is accessing my printer because we have a 10 year old Minolta all in one in are office and I can't find a way to get it to work (it requires we authenticate against the domain and have an access code).. Evolution has the ximian-connector (renamed to evolution-exchange) so it has native Exchange Connectivity... I've installed Crossover Office so I have MS Office (Access support is still rather bad in Linux and we use it here) and I have IE 6 for testing my WebDev.

I've yet to run into problems with it... It has native support for the Broadcom NIC that comes in my laptop (something that even Windows XP doesn't have)... and it has utility suite that's installed if you have a Toshiba...

I've got mono installed so I can do C# development still (installed it through Red Carpet oddly enough (which I also used to install Exchange support)... I had Phoenix Object Basic.. but it requires an older lib and is available only as a binary so I have to compile an older lib to support it... it's a VB Clone and I have ASP under apache... So I can do full MS Dev at work.. no one complains that linux hinders me at all and my laptop has less problems now than it ever had with XP... KDE 3.3 is very nice... and yast makes it sweet... Little Red Icon in the tray for Important Updates and Yellow for non-critical updates and then green when you're good to go...

I love it.... If you want more just let me know...

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

HT:

I took a look at it..... Pain in the azz that the "try me" version is a 1.3G d/l for a DVD ISO....

Now, it gives me an option to install direct from d/l.... Now I have this cute little laptop here with two partitions, one boots WinXP pro, (which I _don't_ want messed with), and a second partition with my previous foray into Linux, (Fedora Core 2), which I could happily replace. They boot off a boot loader, (Grub I think).

If I were to run that install would it recognize that I have that setup?
    Would it give me the option of which partition to overwrite?
    Would it replace the FC2 item in the grub loader itself or would I have to do something?
    Would it still, even though it says it's doing stuff right, screw up my laptop?

Little gun-shy right now....

lol, Make a backup!!! I have a Dell lappy and so far I haven't had an issue with any distro for the last 12 mos. I - like - Gore will be buying this one. Been on Red Hat for a Year, time to change? If you have the resource I prefer another hard disk. It's a snap to pop in Linux or Windows disk with laptops.

//Edit Gore that article doesn't pin down a price for Enterprise. The PRO version is 160.

"You will have to buy the Professional edition of Suse 9.2, due in January for around $160, to get the full range of features, plus discs and manuals."
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I love seeing microsoft haventhis kind of competition.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com