Thread: weird problem

Banned

weird problem

I’ve tried to download a patch for Diablo and maybe I interrupted it early. Regardless there was a exe file on the desktop and when I ran it all I saw was a cursor running from left to right in the command com window. I forced to end the program. Now I cannot erase the file even in a safe mode. What can I do?

Try running adaware and see if the file is legit or crap, sounds like you cannot delete the file because it maybe in use by the system, for example a process that is running. Open up taskman and see if there is something fishy looking running, or if the filename it self is running. Did you get the file from a trusted source?
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Since you didn't bother to post any OS version details or other helpful troubleshooting information, there is not much to go on.

Did you try to search google?

There are many many many listings about your exact problem depending on your OS, the steps will differ..

Google is your friend for !@#$ sake

press Ctrl-Alt-Del then goto processes and see if it is runing if it is stop it and the try deleting it.

Banned
    windows 2000

patch is dl'ed from a trusted source.

no i cannot find anything aut of the ordinary in the task manager (definitly not the file in question running)

have you run a virii scanner?

This is a real hack/frig

Clear your temporary files, cache browser etc.............

Boot into safe mode and defragment.

Now try downloading the Diablo patch again.................you just might get lucky

Be patient this time, and cold reboot afterwards.

Otherwise you are probably faced with an install/reinstall scenario

Banned
    yes i just did

and yes it's up-to-date

Now I cannot erase the file even in a safe mode.
    being win2k.. you may need to go into the command prompt change the attributes for the file (attrib) .. it is probably currently a attribed as a system file or similar.. would be helpful if you gave use a bit more info.. like.. the name of the file and the error your given when you try to delete the file

if you didnt download the patch from http://ftp.blizzard.com you probably have the need of a malware remover..
    [gloworange]the original Und3rtak3r [/gloworange]

if you really wanted to you could just boot up with a knoppix live cd and erace it from their you should not need to do that but if it really comes to it you can.