hping problems

Thread: hping problems

hping problems

hi all,
    i was currently playing around with hping (2.0.0 release candidate 2) on my WinXp SP2 and observed the following output

HPING 192.168.0.1 (Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport 192.168.0.1): S set, 40 headers + 0 data bytes
    [send_ip] sendto: No error
    [ipsender] close(sockraw): Bad file descriptor

on running command hping.exe 192.168.0.1 -S -c 1 -p 80

i am using Winpcap 3.0, can someone sort out this problem for me.

When i use the same command onmy other Winxp (no service packs installed) it runs fine.

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

I may be mistaken, but wasnt there some compatibility issue with sp2 and winpcap?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

nopes my other programs are working fine with winpcap 3 on same box

mmkhan

Hey Hey,

XTC is definately right albeit poorly worded. Service Pack 2 removed raw socket support from Windows XP... as you can see from what you pasted it's trying to use raw sockets. You said you have programs that require WinPcap that still work.. is it possible that they don't explicitly require raw sockets? Anyways, SP2 is your problem.... I would either remove Service Pack 2 (that's a judgement call.. many places don't have it in use yet)... find another program to use, or look at a *nix alternative... Even if it means using a Bootable Linux distro to play around.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

thanks HTRegz I knew there was some incompatibility, just didnt have time right then to look it up so I just tossed it out like that hoping someone could fill in the details.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Thanks now quite convinced by the answers.