Thread: freeBSD installation

freeBSD installation

hey there, i got a bug to report ,
    i am from india and recently i got my hands on a free bsd issue, after hearing a lot of it i finally decided to install it , i got a 40 gb drive formatted , installed win 98 opened the iso files using win rar and i went to the tools copied the fdimage to the floppy folder and copied te image of kern and mfsroot to two floppy drives.i re booted my system made a change in bios to boot in floppy .
    i inserted my kern floppy and it booted and after some time it gave an echo and asked me insert anothr floppy ( mfs root) it started to read the floppy and gave som random white charecters in the screen , (some thing found and some thing not found, it went on for a few moments and then it stalled, it first gave a time out and then it stalled i waited for 15 min and then i turned off the computer, i tried the same in another machine it worked perfectly fine.

now lemme give the description of my pc.

my pc works on a seagate 40 gb hard disk with and amd k6 processer and a 64 mb ram . a normal wheel mouse . and that all i think you need to know , if there is any thing else plz lemme know

i have a samsung 52x CD ROM

Hi mom!
    You'll find the people at http://www.freebsd.org more responsive to these kind of questions. In particular, there are several mailing lists where you could find some answers.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Just Another Geek
    Just burn the ISOs and boot from CD. You only need to boot from floppies if your BIOS cannot boot from CD.

What version of FreeBSD do you have?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I got a PM from him for this thread, and I answered him already but it's not as easy as just booting the CD and installing. I have one machine here that it won't install on at all. It freezes up during the installation so it's not all his fault if this is the case. Like he said it works fine on another machine, same thing for me. BSD just doesn't like the hardware in that box. I have a problem like that too. Not a problem for me really, that box has a mix of Slackware and, heh, SUSE.

Just Another Geek
    That's why I asked which version he's using. I too had some problems with certain versions (namely older 5.x releases). 5.3-release installed without problems but it's also brand spanking new so there may still be some issues with certain hardware. 4.10 (legacy) should always work.

5.3 Hardware notes
    4.10 Hardware notes
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

well gore that was ,e who pm'ed you and the thread is here
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=264185
    any how than for your advice, don have any free m/c lying around :-(

the version i'm using is 5.1