Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: web accelerator & optimizer ... HUH???

Banned

web accelerator & optimizer ... HUH???

Do these technologies from Netscape ISP and AOL actualy work or are they just another website caching technologies? If they are doesn't that leave you with another place on your HD with traces to you internet habits?

DO NOT TOUCH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are invariably scams..........you get what you pay your ISP for, within the limits of your local technology........sorry, that is a fact of life

AO French Antique News Whore
    Those are spyware/adware! Be ware!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Banned
    you know they are bs man;\

Okay how could they possibly be anything else but crap? You pay for dial-up, you get ~5kBps and that's it. If you had something 4 times that fast it would be called something else.

Most of them would actually have disclaimers written in smallprint in some place hidden away from view.
    /\\

Banned
    i remember when im on dialup, i always get interested in the webccelerators etc. but i know they are all crap since a 56k modem cannot be supercharged. well, it can be but it will fry it over time. most of those internet accelerators just save webpages (which you can do thru your browser settings) automatically. people fall for that that crap and pay for this junk.

Use a hosts file to block the Adds...
    Best browsing accelerator I ever used..
    it also help limit the Crap you find slowing your poor little puter..

a customer came in the other day wanted his machine cleaned.. complained after he realised I removed Bonzi Buddy... he PAID for it.... gag! then complained his machine was still slow..

cant win them all
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Banned
    ive thought of starting my own comp store. i know windows inside and out just about, and my buddy knows unix/linux. most problems are very simple to fix. ive had some nasty viruses that make worms these days look like garbage. these people dont know what the old viruses were like, people may remember AIDS, and Tentacle etc....win3.1 days

I agree most accelorators are crap, but they do work...sort of. They dont incresase your speed they just make what your dl'ing smaller. Like pictures and stuff from webpages will come out blurry (poorer quality) becasue it will dl faster. Its just a change in the way data is handled giving the illusion of a speed increase.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    well there is an option to make image dithering worse to increase d/l speed. havent used it in a while, like 8 years when i was in a 2400 modem lol. but it is an option, mainly on aol