Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: web accelerator & optimizer ... HUH???

I use one, it does just like XTC46 said, the pics look like hell, but text does load much faster. It is called "Revved". It can be adjusted as to the diminishing of the quality. It makes dial up more bearable.

[plea to DSL] please please come to my area PLEASE [/plea to DSL]
    --Kristoph

Banned
    lol, dsl isnt even available here, but i forced them to come here. they need to make money, so bug them

I never used these accelerators.
    XTC46 what browser do you use did you try mozila i think it is the best you don't have to make any additional settings to save pages or anything like that it automatically blocks pop-ups ,has a built in download manager.
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

Originally posted here by littlenick
    I never used these accelerators.
    XTC46 what browser do you use did you try mozila i think it is the best you don't have to make any additional settings to save pages or anything like that it automatically blocks pop-ups ,has a built in download manager.
    I'd recommend giving Firefox a try, it's very lightweight and the number of add-ons give almost every extra feature you could dream of! Like Adblock is sweet, you can click on pictures/flash/applets and block them individually or as a source [don't tell JupM but I have mjxads.internet.com/* blocked ]
    /\\

Originally posted here by hypronix
    I'd recommend giving Firefox a try, it's very lightweight and the number of add-ons give almost every extra feature you could dream of! Like Adblock is sweet, you can click on pictures/flash/applets and block them individually or as a source [don't tell JupM but I have mjxads.internet.com/* blocked ]
    I did that too.Thanks for advise it was really helpful.
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

Banned
    i've heard of "web accelerators" before, but the reason i'm asking about it is that AOL and Netscape offer this and YES, they want EXTRA MONEY for this. I didn't mean the 3rd party stuff.

You can't incress your TCP/IP value with AOL. Proxy, with a cap off.

May I recommend CableNut. Although, you may incress your value quite easily, I'll explain this quickly, and to the point.

Opening tcpip, afd, netbt and ipnat on a ramdrive to up your packet value.
    \"Blinding ignorance does mislead us.
    O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes.\"

~Leonardo Da Vinci

but the reason i'm asking about it is that AOL and Netscape offer this and YES, they want EXTRA MONEY for this
    I think that is out of order. It should be there in the first place? I can understand having to pay for third party solutions, but your major vendor systems should be complete in their own right.

Hell, next thing Microsoft will be charging for security patches

Banned
    i'm w/ nihil

gigist ... try to write a bit clearer

I think you guys are really mistaken in what the AOL, netscape and netzero web accelerators do.. They are on the fly compression engines. Basically you run their client software on your computer and before the data travels across the modem they compress as much of it as possible. Then when the data gets to you it gets uncompressed. This is why the small print in the ads say that it doesn't increase speed for file downloads or streaming data that is already compressed, only text.

Them charging for that service is completely legitimate as it requires more processing power on their end.