Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: web accelerator & optimizer ... HUH???

Regal Making Handler
    This is why the small print in the ads say that it doesn't increase speed for file downloads or streaming data that is already compressed, only text.
    If they provided a service at the advertised speed there would not be any need for more expensive add on's.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by littlenick
    I never used these accelerators.
    XTC46 what browser do you use did you try mozila i think it is the best you don't have to make any additional settings to save pages or anything like that it automatically blocks pop-ups ,has a built in download manager.
    I use both firefox and IE depending on what Im trying to do. I dont like most pop-up blockers becasue alot of the tools my job uses are web based and you need the pop ups. I dont have problems with adware and other malware. My box is maintained very well becasue I remove that crap for a living (among other things as a computer tech) so I know how to defend against it, so I dont mind using IE.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Believe it or not, they do give you the advertised speed. Obviously phone/cable line quality, and your distance from the OC will drop your speed, depending on those qualities.

AOL can't be tweaked, I would agree if you said it was illegal.
    \"Blinding ignorance does mislead us.
    O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes.\"

~Leonardo Da Vinci

Originally posted here by Gigist
    Believe it or not, they do give you the advertised speed. Obviously phone/cable line quality, and your distance from the OC will drop your speed, depending on those qualities.

AOL can't be tweaked, I would agree if you said it was illegal.
    Yeah sure you are right It can't increase speed but it can give you a faster browsing experience.
    I did a search on this subject and found out that it is not concerned with increasing speed but proper utilization of available bandwidth.
    For DSL users it may be useless but for those dial up and cable net users(with low bandwidth) it can be useful.

take an example of PC booster how does that work?clean up registry and delete illegal entries start up files and so on so your PC starts working fine.
    Sure you can manage registery manually but not everyone can.

I tried to find how Web Accelerators work.It is basically designed to provide maximum acceleration to web sites that you frequently visit.
    Images significantly increase the length of time it takes to download a webpage. With Web Accelerator you can cut download times by as much as 10 times by adjusting the resolution setting (quality) that you want for each image. The lower the resolution, the faster the page will download.

http://www.iinet.net.au/dialup/webac...elerator1.html

some of you might say "rubbish" but for some dial up users it can be handy.if you use DSL you may never see the difference.
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

####My exsperice in the web browser is that it came up as adware on my computer
    ####just another way of tracing my info,But tracing me at the same time .I don't know folks dose ####that sound like a good thing?[gloworange]HUMMMMMM[/gloworange]

There are a number of alleged accelerators around that are just vehicles for spyware/adware.

The general concept or methodology seems to fall into three distinct categories:

1. Compression and decompression of data
    2. Reducing quality, and therefore volume
    3. Tweaking the TCP/IP Stack (that is what CableNut does)

#3 might be of some value, depending on how badly your system is set up in the first place. The other two are of very limited value.

Where you are mainly wanting to download large files such as software trials you are unlikely to gain very much...................you need broadband. From unhappy's other posts, I believe this is what he is interested in.

I have already suggested a site for getting cheap Linux distros on CD, otherwise you need a few friends with broadband to d/l and burn the stuff to CD for you.

OOOOOk

I just responded on the topic,I have no use for those dumb programs i'll just wait for the slowness
    of my CPU

Some of the things that took a long time to create,were the best.I don't know if the same thing applies for my computer ...............

Internet surfing would be faster for dial-up users if every damn website wasnt packed down with flash, shockwave, video, audio...etc.

If nothing else use lynx or another text based web-browser and your internet will seam much faster....but everyone wants buttons and pictures.... Internet killed the BBS star
    Whats a \"START\" button?

"users if every damn website"

You could reload Google every second, you'll be happy with the speed.
    \"Blinding ignorance does mislead us.
    O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes.\"

~Leonardo Da Vinci

If they provided a service at the advertised speed there would not be any need for more expensive add on's.

I'm confused here. If all they have is 56k modems in their dialup pools then they are giving you the speed that they advertise. The ISP can't be held responsible for the quality of your phone line and the inherent problems with trying to push a system that at most supports 33.6kb/sec up to 56kb/sec.