Thread: Where to start on Programing?

Where to start on Programing?

Hello all Im new to programing and have read alot of threads on this site which I'm finding very helpful. My main knowledge is in web building and it isnt a lot. I'm wanting to learn to write a program that is geared for the real estate industry (acounting, property management, filing of listings and so on) I know I may be months or years from it but would like to know where to start.
    I started out in Frontpage for webbuilding for my first web page and got my feet wet and got a Idea of what it was all about then went on to learn some html coding and javascript to get what I needed for my new site that Frontpage couldn't give me. Any way saying all that to say this, would it be best to experiment with Visual basic 6 or the visual studio.net 2003 to get my feet wet and help me understand the consepts? It also seemed more people thought c++ with a GCC compiler was a good place to start.
    I'm having trouble finding the GCC compiler, I've went to this site http://gcc.gnu.org/ but can't seem to find where to download it. Is there anything else I might need geting started?

Thanks BondJoe

C++ is a good choice specially for what you need

but if you want GUI application learn VC++ .NET

the secrete is to read books search google and bye books online ...
    [gloworange][shadow]www.geocities.com/dia_byte0 [/shadow] [/gloworange]

No To 1559 !

Signature image is too tall!

Thanks for the info Dia, I Bought my 1st book today. Hope its what I need but it will probably be the 1st of many. Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days Fourth Edition. I will be an expert in 21 days! Ha Ha.

Re: Where to start on Programing?

Originally posted here by Bondojoe
    but would like to know where to start. Is there anything else I might need geting started?
    How about a computer?

Bondojoe > read the tutorials i have written. they are intended for people who doesn't know jack sh*t about programming.
    if you press on the digit in the line "Other Tutorials Written" just below my username, you will be able to view them..

Written BY and FOR people who don't know ****

Written BY and FOR people who don't know ****
    let's just hope that is a joke

Re: Re: Where to start on Programing?

Originally posted here by gore
    How about a computer?
    Thank You so much gore for your help. Its so nice to know that there are people like you to help us beginners. Your an inspriration to us all. Looking at all the posts you have you must of helped a lot of people. Thanks again BondoJoe

I try.