Thread: BitTorrent servers under attack

AO French Antique News Whore

BitTorrent servers under attack

A flood of data has hammered several of the tracking servers for BitTorrent downloads, according to LokiTorrent, a Torrent network hub.
    The attacks apparently targeted the central BitTorrent directories used by people to find movies, music and other content on the file-swapping network, according to information posted Wednesday on LokiTorrent, a BitTorrent tracking Web site.

"We had a massive DDoS attack lasting almost 10 hours today," stated the posting on the site. "It seems we were not alone in this attack, as many other torrent sites also fell victim to them. Us being up again does not mean these attacks may not happen again, but at least means we had taken steps to prevent further attacks."

BitTorrent technology allows people to download files from several member computers in a peer-to-peer network. Once a fragment of a file is cached on a PC, that machine then makes it available to other users, to speed downloads. Though distribution is shared, the technology still relies on central tracking servers to direct a downloader's software to different pieces of a file, which could be hosted on several users' PCs.

The distributed nature of BitTorrent makes the technology somewhat harder to attack, but also makes defending the tracking servers that much more important.

This is not the first time that online attackers have focused on distributed technologies. Web site caching service Akamai was hit by a massive data attack earlier this year.

It is unknown how widely the BitTorrent attack affected other networks. Neither a representative of LokiTorrent nor the creator of BitTorrent, Bram Cohen, could immediately be reached for comment.
    Source : http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5473754.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Banned
    you know, im not very enthused about torrent. i never get a good d/l etc. but on the other hand it seems like theres some newbies out there that like to ddos anything they can find. i myself have fell victim to script kiddies. maybe its time to take some action, find out who these kid are and deal with them in an....appropriate manner? the way i look at it, its just like the "war on terror". Maybe some "personal warnings" could persuade these kids to stop the nonsense. i remmeber when i was first on the net and irc, ircwar was common. and people did this and that, but when people banded together (HACKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE ) people quit messing around so much. tho using winnuke etc was not hacking at all, especially on irc...they still learned.

Originally posted here by karmine
    y. maybe its time to take some action, find out who these kid are and deal with them in an....appropriate manner? the way i look at it, its just like the "war on terror". Maybe some "personal warnings" could persuade these kids to stop the nonsense.
    Sorry to say but that is highly impracticle.how many kids would you like to deal with?
    we should better talk about how to fix DDOS problem or for that matter any vulnerability which can be easily exploited by kids like CGI,PHP vulnerability etc.
    try to find all possible ways these script kiddies can attack a system and get a solution for that.
    Asking peoples to stop doing it in the name of ethics is stupid how many would agree?
    and how many would not?

LOL.........i can't stop laughing
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

Also, on yesterday' night, SHARETV was defaced. I was trying to find a good guide about those tags on files (PDTV, TS...etc) and just see a lot of "dont copy others' work"....
    Maybe kids are tired of attacking companies and started to attack each other and their prefered sites
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Originally posted here by karmine [b]
    i myself have fell victim to script kiddies.
    how do you know? what happened?
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"

Banned
    Asking peoples to stop doing it in the name of ethics is stupid how many would agree?
    and how many would not?
    wouldnt hurt to try would it?

secure_lockdown: how do you know? what happened?
    because i was on irc when it happened and i knew who did it because they were bragging. big accomplishment, ddosing is hehe