Apache Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apache Help

Apache Help

I've been trying to set up an apache server on my comp for weeks now. A friend was first helping me out and then i found h3r3tic Tut on phpbb and tried using it for help. ZTO no avail though. I've installed apache 2.0.52 like it said using my ip i got from ipchicken as the domain and and server name. I tried using my browser to look for it then and it times out.
    So i go to my router which is a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router. I look through that and the only way i've found to forward a port range was under Applications and Gaming tab. So i did that forwarding it to the 192 IP i got from Belarc Advisor for my comp. I still time out when I search for my ip in the browser.

Please somebody help this is driving me crazy.

Hi Aden

Since that phpbb tutorial is dealing with WinXP pro I assume you have the same OS.
    If I understood your problem correctly, the apache server does not work (sorry,
    but English is not my native language and I got a bit confused). I would
    try to track down the problem more systematically.

1. reinstall the apache server[1] again (as a service, automatic, make sure it has started,
    ie the little apache icon shows a "green light")

2. try to test it (by getting the "installation successfull apache test page") on the same machine
    by typing in a browser: http://127.0.0.1.
    This might bypass most standard firewall configurations. If this works, at least
    you know your apache server is running. This should work by default, without
    setting up anything in httpd.conf (as virtual hosting or the like).
    By default, the index.html file is taken from the DocumentRoot, e.g.
    DocumentRoot "C:/test/apache2/htdocs"

3. try to test it on the same machine and type your "public" ip, given by ipconfig.
    If it now does not work, a firewall might be in between.

4. extend the procedure from a computer in the same subnet (without any hops).

5. extend it further from a computer outside your subnet (the router configuration now takes place).

Hope this helps as a start.

Cheers

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Yes the loopback address 127.0.0.1 works and some files i saved are there ready to be on the server. SO apache works. However i can not get any other cmoputer connected on the network to find it. So i'm thinking firewall i guess. I'm running zonealarm but even when i turn that completly off it stills doesn't work.

Hi

Good. Apache works, and we are at point 4.
    If you ping the server-machine from the client-machine, does this work?
    If so,
    a) as you know, I guess, you need to enable 'outgoing port endpoint 80 on the client machine' on your firewall.
    b) on the server machine, you need to enable 'incoming port localmachine 80 from remotepoint "arbitrary port"' on your firewall.

Make sure that you configure any firewall accordingly. Do not forget, that you might
    have activated the XP firewall on the LAN connection. You can configure it as needed
    by enabling the box at LAN.properties.advanced.settings."Web Server (HTTP)".

Usually, the XP firewall sets in after the 3rd party firewall software.

Cheers
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

ALright the server machine is hooked striaght into the router. THe host machine is connnected to a hub connected to the router.
    They can both ping themselves.
    The Server can ping the host.
    but the host can not ping the server.

Blast From the Past
    you wouldnt happen to have sp2 installed would you? my apache server didnt work untill i tweaked it alittle bit after i installed SP2....it would help though if you could give us alittle more info on your host and your server

server: os, few specs about pc
    other comp on network: os. specs
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

alright no sp2 here
    My server machine is running xp pro the same with the host. Um what else do you need?

Blast From the Past
    hmmm...this is a shot in the dark but do you think the host may be useing something else on what ever port you are useing for apache?....presuming 80...and another maybe...but did you either set your server in the DMZ on your router or set up port fowarding...that my be a conflict aswell
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Yes i've been persumeing port 80 i wouldn't know any reason why it wouldn't.
    So i went back into my router i had port range forward configured i beleive.
    My options were
    application-(i didn't put anything here)
    Start- 80
    End-80
    Protocol-both (options of TCP UDP both)
    Ip address 192.168.1.(my last three digits)
    Enabled-checked

I don't know anything about DMZ
    in that page i had the options
    enabled or disabled (tried both)
    DMZ Host IP Address: (i put my servers IP here)

I really think it has to be something done on the computer i'm making the server because when i try doing run, cmd, and then try the command ipconfig /all the only thing it tells me is
    my host name
    Primary Dns Suffix....
    Node type unknown
    IP routing enabled yes
    wins proxy enabled yes