College degrees

Thread: College degrees

College degrees

How's things going around? I'm doin ok, haven't posted here in a while but I've read around and I'm still learning, just on a lowkey self paced approach. Anyway, I've been looking at schools to go to. I've never known where I should begin with programming, tho I've heard many recommendations and places where to start I've just never been able to. I know I haven't given it anywhere near my all and if I do I'm sure I can most likely get somewhere. It's like I 'want' to program, and I have ideas in my head just dunno where to start with it. The OS is pretty common sense. But all of this doesn't matter. It's not on the subject. I've been looking at different colleges to go to, and someone recommended Devry. I looked into Devry, any extra information will be appreciated though. I wanted to take programming there, but they only had CIS and CES (Computer Engineering Whatever) CIS is Computer Information Systems. Devry didn't offer Computer Science. I was interested in taking CIS major, what type of job can I get with it or does it have to offer? I really wanted to take Computer Science though. Whats different between CIS and CS? After college I wanted to probably go into Security or Game programming, what would be best option in this scenario? Any reply would be appreciated.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    You are exactly correct about DeVry's lack of a traditional computer science program. The CIS program at DeVry is unique in that you will study in depth three distinct areas of programming: object-oriented programming, database development, web programming. All of your classes will be career-focused. The benefits of this plan over the computer science degree at a traditional state University is that when you attend full time you will finish in three years rather than 4-5 years. There is also a heavy emphasis in career services with DeVry that is lacking at state schools. I would stay away from the CET (Computer Engineering Technology) degree as it is being phased out. I graduated from a traditional state university and work at DeVry. I can tell you all the differences. If you want to call me at my office just pm me and I'll give you my phone number.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I just want to say how glad I am that this subject came up. I have a very difficult desision to make. I looked into DeVry as well and am *currently* signed up to take CET (it's a T, not an S.. Computer Engineering Techologies).. The rep from DeVry told me to go with CET as it would challenge me more due to the physics and math involved.

From what I understand, CS gives a broader education pertaining to computers, versus CIS and CET are more specified. I'm unsure whether I should (or want to) go to DeVry and study CET (or even change to CIS) or go another university (Case Western Reserve University) and study CS..

I highly enjoy web design and computer programming, and don't really want to get into the hardware part.. I'm interested in more information, so please post more

Afterthough: Which DeVry campus were you looking in to?

Banned
    I'm taking Devry online classes, and they r0ck... study at your own pace, magnificent support (from financial aid over personal tutoring to career placement), decent courses,... and as an added bonus, it's way faster than getting your degree the "normal" way.

It's surprising that people still go to campuses while you can do it all in your pajama's, sitting in your lazy chair...

I'm taking the BIS, btw, not the CIS (because I hate programming). With BIS, you can major in E-commerce - might be worth looking into if you're into web dev.

Here are all the major options for BIS, and here's the curriculum for CIS.

Originally posted here by Negative
    I'm taking Devry online classes, and they r0ck... study at your own pace, magnificent support (from financial aid over personal tutoring to career placement), decent courses,... and as an added bonus, it's way faster than getting your degree the "normal" way.

It's surprising that people still go to campuses while you can do it all in your pajama's, sitting in your lazy chair...

I'm taking the BIS, btw, not the CIS (because I hate programming). With BIS, you can major in E-commerce - might be worth looking into if you're into web dev.

Here are all the major options for BIS, and here's the curriculum for CIS.
    Did Mathgirl recruit you for the Devry marketing department Negative?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Banned
    I'm unbiased... I am wearing a Devry shirt she got me yesterday, though...

Originally posted here by Negative
    I'm unbiased... I am wearing a Devry shirt she got me yesterday, though...
    Already been corrupted by us Americans! Taking bribes now!
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I'd back my wife's play anyday. That's not bribery, that's just common sense, CXGJarrod.

Neg is no fool. hehehe.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Afterthough: Which DeVry campus were you looking in to?
    I'm looking into the one in Decatur Georgia, or maybe Atlanta.

If you want to call me at my office just pm me and I'll give you my phone number.
    I did call the office twice, was it Friday? I'll try to call again later today.

Yea, most likely I will try Devry out. I think it'll be a good place to begin if any, after all I'm only 18 and I have many experiences to go through and knowledge to gain. Lots of aspects and principals I need to incorporate into my everyday life. It's fundamentals that alot of veterans here look at as common sense. So most likely, it'll be Devry or some other school that's similar. I heard Devry was one of the best in the nation.
    \"I\'m a lonely soldier, at war... Sent away to die... never quite knowing why.... Sometimes it makes no sense at all....\"

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Hey, leave a message!

Seriously, call me today...I'll be in my office until 5pm. If you don't catch me, then leave your number and I'll call you back.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery