Suddenly Windows XP Cannot logon

I left this may machine out for lunch, when try to logon get this message:
    "The system cannot log you on due to the following error
    The parameter is incorrect
    Please try again or consult your system administrator"

When i used the wrong password the machine knows
    "Did you forget your password?
    Please type your password again "

Also happened in safe mode. Any idea what is toasting this machine?

just seems abnormal for a system to just sit there then malfunction without another process

I hv found another same case at different place, what i do is backup the data and reformat the hdd then reinstall windows. Prob. solve but what causing this?

parameter — A value or a symbolic reference to a value
    That almost explains as much as
    I left this may machine out for lunch, when try to logon get this message
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

happened to me after patching the latest xp patch.. still don't know what caused it..

the case is:
    if logon with wrong password, it says something like "wrong password",
    but if logon with the correct one, it will show "The system cannot log you on due to the following error, The parameter is incorrect. Please try again or consult your system administrator"

i think it is something to do with parameter passing within the windows logon module...

solution i did was repairing the windows.. it is working rite now..

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    i think it is something to do with parameter passing within the windows logon module...
    You dont say haha, j/k

yea, it was possibly an off-the-cuff corruption... maybe a power-surge....?? just seems abnormal for a system to just sit there then malfunction without another process .. (it WAS locked while you were at lunch yes??? )

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

there is no real explaination to why that could happen unless u were online when u left it sit while u did something else and some worthless detsructive hacker hacked into ur comp and blocked u out of it and left a trojan that disables ur logon process otherwise ur windows is missing the main file to login to windows ... did u try deleting the hd and starting with a brand new installation of windows and not just using an upgrade version of windows... its best if u delete the partition, add a new partition, and make a new bootable install of windows with all the files it needs for everything then download and install sp2 if ur on xp or anything else... its not often that a problem like that can occur but is very possible... if it happens again try the way i explained if u have a full install disk of windows...