Thread: running dos based programs

running dos based programs

i am getting the following info whenever i try to execute any DOS based .exe or any batch file.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem | X |
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    <path of the file which i clicked>
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
    Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    _________ __________
    | Close | | Ignore |

the files which i remembered to be executed earlier are also creation this prob.
    i tried pushing the close, ignore, X, but the file wont execute.
    i've win xp , sp2, with all updates, p4 , 256 ram, 40 gb hdd, etc.
    please help.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Try: Right click on your program> properties> click the complality tab and change it to windows 98 or below.

This should work; at least to my knowledge on this.

well that doesn't help either, still the same error,plz help

Sounds like you may have some file corruption?

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767

Then, if that does not help try a Google search for: AUTOEXEC.NT

You will see that your problem is quite common, but you may have to try several solutions before you find the right one

Originally posted here by nihil
    Sounds like you may have some file corruption?

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767

Then, if that does not help try a Google search for: AUTOEXEC.NT

You will see that your problem is quite common, but you may have to try several solutions before you find the right one

Hey Hey,

This corruption has been popping up all over... there's actually other mentions of it on AO... It's caused by malware, unfortunately I haven't been able to pinpoint which malware it is yet... It hinders the install of several pieces of software... including some software included with student textbooks and AVG. that MS KB article is nice... however the only important part for fixing the problem is step 4

At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
    expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
    exit

We see this on a daily basis... If you don't have the CD handy... as many people don't... Check your repair directory. Autoexec.nt and config.nt will both exist their....we've had success on fixing the problem just by copying those files from c:\windows\repair to c:\windows\system32...

Peace,
    HT

Re: running dos based programs

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
    Yourdeadin, i have a xp sp2 and couldnt reproduce the problem. However, a dumb question: since you've said the ANY program (including .bat) is failling, why "autoexec.nt" is appearing on your post? is it an example or the problem IS in autoexec.nt? (and not in the dos programs...)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Re: Re: running dos based programs

Originally posted here by cacosapo
    Yourdeadin, i have a xp sp2 and couldnt reproduce the problem. However, a dumb question: since you've said the ANY program (including .bat) is failling, why "autoexec.nt" is appearing on your post? is it an example or the problem IS in autoexec.nt? (and not in the dos programs...)
    Hey Hey,

autoexec.nt is one of the files that allows your 32 bit system to run 16-bit files. There are malware programs out there that corrupt this file... When it becomes corrupt you lose your ability to run 16-bit programs in the 32-bit OS. To reproduce this you'd have to know which malware/virus corrupts it and exactly what it does... so far we've been unsuccessfuly in figuring this out. The fact that repair maintains a backup of the file... yet it isn't replaced by Windows file protection makes it even more interesting.

Peace,
    HT

While this doesn't facilitate the corruption issue of malware or poor windows design... I run old Dos based programs with a Dos emulator. Mostly for fun and games.

DosBox
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.