Thread: usb gps linux/windows

usb gps linux/windows

I've been doing a good deal of warwalking and wardriving using my pocketpc and my dualboot laptop. Thus far, I've just been keeping track of where I've been finding the WAPs in my notebook.

I know a lot of tools have the ability to map them via gps.

I'm looking for a good usb (2.0) gps device. I would prefer that it works under both linux and windows. I'm using fedora core 3 (latest kernel with all updates) and Windows xp sp2 with all updates. If I can't find one that works under both OSs, then one for Windows will work just fine. I can map out everything using netstumbler.

Anyone have any experience with usb gps devices and what would you recommend I get?

FYI- I would normally not have a problem using a pcmcia card, but my laptop only has one pcmcia slot in which I'm using a netgear wg511 g/b card.

TIA
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Certainly on the british ebay theres been a flood of Cheap GPS units from hong kong, cos like £30, there USB and claim to work under linux and windows, might be an area to investigate

my mates disertation at the moment involves a gps system and he's purchased a £30 gps unit from a company, thats serail based, but its literally the size of a postage stamp, its so cool, just thought id drop that in there

i2c

Garmin makes good gps devices that work with linux and windows. Kismet has a built in GPS mapper for linux.
    Whats a \"START\" button?

I thought garmin used the serial port?

You could always get a USB to serial adapter I suppose? Ive got one and it works on linux and windows and it cost me under £10, so it could be a cheap alternative, not as neat but never mind

i2c