Thread: Enter Cracker

Question Enter Cracker

Hey All...

I was wondering about the different ways that a Cracker could connect to the internet and get his mischief done. Most of them (maybe noone) would ever use their own connection to hack, right ?. These crackers could use Wireless Networks or use proxy chains. What are the other ways that you folks know of ?? .. I'm just curious

PacketThirst

zombie machines : normally a someones home machine which the cracker has gained access to (backdoor trojan etc) which can then be used as the platform to launch attack so that when traced back it is zombie machine it is traced to not cracker.

v_Ln

Zombie machines ... But isn't there a way to track the cracker out, if he uses a trojan ??. Most
    Trojans send packets to the client box when the box containing the server is online ,
    right ?. Couldn't you could just use an ordinary sniffer to get the Cracker's Ip ??

Generally, an attacker would first break into a number of sites, keeping his/her activity on these sites to a bare minimum. After breaking into these sites, this attacker will determine which are the best sites from which to launch further attacks. Good sites would be sites which do limited logging, are located in countries which are known to have uncooperative law enforcement and/or sysadmins, or very liberal privacy laws.

Basically, launch thier simple / benign attacks (attacks which violate few laws and trip few alarms) from home, or a library, or a payphone or something, then find a better place to launch louder attacks from where the sysadmins will have difficulty finding them.

At least that's how I'd do it.

Trojans send packets to the client box when the box containing the server is online ,
    right ?. Couldn't you could just use an ordinary sniffer to get the Cracker's Ip ??
    Yes. But most people simply don't.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I've seen the payphone thing in the movie "hackers" ... I thought that was just plain bullshit.
    Talk about a 3D GUI and the password "GOD" for a supercomputer!! ..

Zombie machines ... But isn't there a way to track the cracker out, if he uses a trojan ??. Most
    you can get zombies which dial home but most likly they will log into a specfic irc server/chan or send a msg via ICQ/Email/AIM/etc making it hard to track the owner down.

v_Ln

9mm Parabellum........................works most times IME.

val.................your link is down.