Thread: alternate windos shells

alternate windos shells

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has ever messed with the viriety of alternate shells availible as replacements for windows explorer. I came across a shell called aston shell and it seems to work better. It is stable and is very customizable. Any info on alternate shells would be greatly appreciated since I cant seem to find any statistics on any of the shells. Aston is stable on my 98 box, but since I am a newbie I dont know much about the security issues with replacing your shell. Thanks
    the truth is what you make it

I've changed my shell several times and swear by alternate shells on windows. My personal favorite is geoshell. In fact, I would prefer it to just about any WM I've seen so far on linux. Perhaps FVWM2 comes close if you completely change the scripting for it to make it act like geoshell, but, IMO, geoshell is perfect for me.

http://www.shellcity.net/index.php

That's a nice site with almost any alternate shell you can find as well as a variety of resources for linuxes. As far as security goes, I'm really not sure of the implications, but, after I replaced most of the default windows software with other programs, my machine became MUCH more stable. My best uptime was about 22 days on windows ME running geoshell. Without geoshell, I could barely go a week. So, it can increase stability for sure.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.

I saw little to no performance increase/stability increase with ashton shell. It took up about the same amount of ram as explorer did for me, so I just kept using explorer. I saw no real point in using ashton, there were few good skins compared to the number out there for windows with a hacked uxtheme.dll file.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Granted I never used any other shell but. I really like litestep. www.litestep.net.

Give it a shot if you will and tell us what you think.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?