Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disable ctrl+alt+del

disable ctrl+alt+del

hi all

how can i disable ctrl+alt+del combination in windows?
    should i use any special program?

tnx.

Can you please mention the windows version.

i don't know whether there is a software or a mathod for this on windows but you can certainly make a program for this easily in vc++ you just have to call SetWindowsHookEx API for keyboard and specify a pointer to your handler function when you set a windows hook and specify a pointer to a function all key pressed are processed by your function first then anather API is called CallNextHookEx()to allow other applications to process keystrokes if you don't call this API then no other Window will be able to process that input(this is the mathod used for locking keyboard in vc++ based trojans).
    so what you have to do is simple .
    int main()
    {
    SetWindowsHookEx(....,lpFunc,....);
    }
    void lpFunc(i don't remember parameters necesarry for this function PM me if you want more help)
    {
    //here process keystrokes pressed;
    if(keystroke=alt+ctrl+del)
    {
    //don't call CallNextHookEx(.........);
    do nothing;
    }
    else
    CallNextHookEx(......so that other applications can process keystroke if it is not alt+ctrl+del);
    }

i would suggest you to try making your own program because hook programming is challenging also you will learn mathods used by softwares like keylogger to process keystrokes.
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

Here's one program for all windows costs about $13.00, might be some free ones out there as well.

All-Secure Computer Locking Software

Hiding the entire screen leaving the computer safely locked. Disabling cd autorun feature. Built in database so you can choose your own password. Disabling control, alt, delete, and escape buttons. Disabling the taskmanager. Stopping the user from entering safemode.

Click Here:

Didn't say why you wanted it, but there may be alternatives other than disabling ctrl+alt+del . How familiar are you with your registry?
    Connection refused, try again later.

There is a registry hack to enable or disable Windows NT TaskManager. The same registry hack applies to Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    Name: DisableTaskMgr
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1=Enablethis key, that is DISABLE TaskManager
    Value: 0=Disablethis key, that is Don't Disable, Enable TaskManager
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...XPHomePro.html

I would bet it works the same for other versions also. Do a registry search for disabletaskmgr, and see what you come up with.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Come on peoples! Do you know local policy option?
    Groovius gave you a good option if you know how to hack your registry! It'll work for XP Home. For XP Pro, you can go in Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy, Local Policies, Security Option and Disable "Disable CTRL-ALT-DEL Requirements for Login to Disabled"

This should work for W2K but I'm not sure. Will not work in 98.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Sure, that's the cat's meow for XP, but silvercloud didn’t post which OS and his/her profile didn’t list it either. Since he/she didn’t appear to know much about disabling “control- alt-delete” …also I would have posted this if I thought the person wouldn’t have destroyed their registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\]
    "DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000001

these two will disable control alt delete

to re-enable it you will need these keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "**del.DisableTaskMgr"=" "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "DisableCAD"=dword:00000000
    Connection refused, try again later.

Come on peoples! Do you know local policy option?
    Sure, but if I would have posted info on it, then nobody else would have had anything to add to the thread.

EDIT: Of course, that's never stopped people before.

Why would you wish to do this?

This is a security measure is it not? To force a non-remote login?

Silvercloud................please justify your request.............

This is an Administrators choice? I know for a fact that it does not happen by default.......so I have negged the little skiddies butt off

We seem to have obtained a few "embedded skiddies" do we not?

There are those who seriously think that just because they joined in 2001, when they were just 14 year-old skiddies, that they are now truly "senior members"............... They never managed it themselves, but they will support lusers?

I hope that you are aware of the recent posts to which I allude?

thanks to all .
    about changing those values in registry i have to say i don't have ' disable taskmgr' in system
    under policies!!!
    why?
    i guess all you mention is for disabling this combination for chaning the way of loging on to system,but i want the way that disable this keys in order to not be able to kill process.
    i 'll like to know how can i do it?
    i haven't still try those using APIs.i might be my need.

hey nihil you have nice teeth.