Booting to a GUI with Slack
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Booting to a GUI with Slack

Booting to a GUI with Slack

I am replying to a private message in a public forum, because the information is better of in here so other people might see it if they need it.

The message was:

I noticed your slackware sig ans was wornding if you use slack ware and if you do which you probaly do, do you think you could help me with a little problem i hae been having. i installed slackware 10 and i was having a problem with my gui it would no load it would go straight to a text based interface which is cool and all but i would like to use the gui when i try to get it to work i get an error message so i remaide my xorg.conf file and it stil happens so i switched to slack 8.1 and i still have the same problem do you know of any thing that could be causing this r maby its just i am using a dell.
    No, it's not because you're using a Dell. They're not that bad.

If you open up, as root, the file called /etc/inittab with the command vi /etc/inittab you will see somewhere a line like this:

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefault:
    Press the insert key twice. This will place the editor in edit/overwrite mode. Then navigate over to this line and replace the 3 with a 4. (Before I get any corrections, runlevel 4 is X windows on Slack and runlevel 5 on most other distros. Stupid I think.) Then press the ESC key to exit from edit mode back into command mode and press the : key, indicating to the editor that you are goinf to give it a command. Then enter "wq" (w/o the quotes) for (w)rite and (q)uit and your edited file will be saved.

When the system boots, the kernel will read this file and boot into runlevel 4, which is the fancy GUI, instead of runlevel 3, which is a text-only runlevel.

Hope that works.

<edit>
    the command startx will start the gui as well as Relyt's method below, but you don't get a graphical login screen like you do when the default runlevel is graphical; but they could both be used to test the GUI.
    </edit>
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

If you wanted to first test X to see if itís good to go before you change the default to the GUI, then enter the command telinit 4. That should temporarily change runlevel to 4 - to return to runlevel 3, open up a console in X and run telinit 3

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Thank you for your help i will try it and get back to you i bet it will work thow.

Re: Booting to a GUI with Slack

Originally posted here by Striek
    Before I get any corrections, runlevel 4 is X windows on Slack and runlevel 5 on most other distros. Stupid I think.
    Actually, it makes more sense to me, and maybe to you if you consider the fact that runlevel 0, 1, 2, 3, and 5 are used by most distributions, and 4 is unused. Where is the sense in that?

At any rate, on my Slack box init 5 is actually what I call "quickboot", basically desktop GUI mode WITHOUT all my development services started (Apache, MySQL, Tomcat, Snort, Postgres, etc.) which shaves about a full minute off my boot time. I also have a lilo profile for this as well.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Yes, it (the Slackware way" actually does make more sense. I'm only complaining about the lack of consistency with other distributions, in the same way Microsoft does everything different because they think they're the only ones who do it the right way. Not to the same degree, but it's the idea I don't like. I like standards.

That's a pretty amazing idea with your runlevel 5, though. I'll have to try that.

Snort is a development service
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Originally posted here by Striek
    Snort is a development service
    It is when you use it to help saturate an alert DB so you can test BASE and are already running it elsewhere "in production" (or as much so as one can get on a home LAN).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Well now everything makes sense.

Any way you would be willing to send me that database? I just set up an IDS box at school for a project with snort / PHP / ACID / jpgraph / apache and all the fixin's, but don't have a way to really see what ACID can do yet. And I just replced by Smoothwall here with IpCop, and didn't bother saving the logs (never thought I'd care to look at them again. oops). I would appreciate it.

IIRC runlevels 3, 4 and 5 are listed as 'default' on my Gentoo box... which gives me the opportunity to run everything I need in 3 different runlevels [each with its own boot-entry in GRUB]. Really useful on a laptop when I'm running on battery sometimes and I don't really need vmware to get started [i.e.].

I was looking for things on speeding up boot time and it seems that making a shell-script with all the service starts in it [a la /etc/init.d/service start] and adding just that to the runlevel helps out, as things get started in parallel [rather than sequentially]. I do sense a shorter boot time, but I've never really timed it... there were some issues regarding having X start automatically with said script, but nothing complicated... I like having the command prompt so my laptop always boots to that.

Sample script:

Code:
    #!/sbin/runscript

start() {
                    ebegin "Starting AC runlevel"

/etc/init.d/local start &gt; /dev/null &
    #              more stuff here
    }

stop() {
                    ebegin "Stopping AC runlevel"

/etc/init.d/local stop &gt; /dev/null &
    #              more stuff here
    }
    /\\

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Rather than changing the runlevel to init 5 wouldn't it be better diagnostic to go to init 3 and type startx? It's a PITA to have to troubleshoot when 5 is the runlevel than 3, IMO. Particularly when you run into graphic card issues, which based on the PM I get the impression the person is getting:

but i would like to use the gui when i try to get it to work i get an error message so i remaide my xorg.conf file and it stil happens so i switched to slack 8.1 and i still have the same problem do you know of any thing that could be causing this r maby its just i am using a dell.
    Perhaps running the xf86config command would be a better option than just switching to runlevel 5. It sounds like the kernel is having difficulties with the video and it might have been better to know what the specific error is.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Wasn't xf86config changed in Slackware 10?

At any rate, Slackware and other distros, there isn't really a big deal with it using 4 versus 5. If you can remember the commands to use the machine something small like 4 instead of 5 shouldn't be a problem And if all else fails, and it bugs you, just change the run level options.