Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hacking

Hacking

I know that hacking is bad, but i think that a post about a month (hacker wars, maybe?) was about a course in which peopel practiced their cracking skills on each others PC's. Is their anyway to practice your skills by using your own computer to attack your own? e.g. see if you can crack yourself?

Banned
    IF you have an old box laying aroun make a small home network and attack one computer or you and a friend could try to crack into each others computers. That's always fun and see how thses things work.

I know that hacking is bad, but i think that a post about a month (hacker wars, maybe?) was about a course in which peopel practiced their cracking skills on each others PC's. Is their anyway to practice your skills by using your own computer to attack your own? e.g. see if you can crack yourself?
    Hacking with malicious intent is bad. Who better to hack than yourself? Keeps your out of court, out of jail. I think you should go for it. You ask is there any way to practice. May sound dumb, but the best way to find out is to try it.
    - Boyam

There is much to learn about auditing your PC/network. That has been covered over and over.
    Read up in the newbies forum and tutorials forum to start.

Have a look at MsM's wargames series. You should learn from that. It helps if you have a couple of PCs to play around with though...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=252513
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Is their anyway to practice your skills by using your own computer to attack your own? e.g. see if you can crack yourself?

Sure you can practice exploiting your system. How to do this leave your system insecure (which I wouldnt recommend) such as dont install updates, patches, service packs, for your operating system, applications, hardware, 3rd party software. leave a lot of un-neccessary ports open, services, keep all default password, find all the weaknessess in your system and exploit them. You can find a lot of exploits for your system and fixes for these at:

www.cert.org
    www.sans.org
    www.csrc.nist.gov/icat
    www.bugtraq.org
    www.esecurityonline.com
    www.securityfocus.com

All these are excellent resources for exactly what your looking for. Hope this helps ComputerNerd22

If you don't have two computers I would try to set up a virtual network with a tool like VMware. here is the link to their web site.

http://www.vmware.com/products/

you might be able to get an older versions which would be more than enough to start with. I would start with that and move up to a physical network later on. These types of solutions are only good running tests on operating systems.

Better yet, buddy up and see if someone from one of your pen testing teams or vulnerability assessment teams will let you go with them on an assessment. You can learn alot by just watching. I'm on a team and I have no problem when someone wants to tag along and ask questions.....

i believe theres machines facing the net that are purposely put there for cracking/hacking ... i ran into an openvms system where the owner invites people to create an account and hack it... as long as you give him the details on how you broke into it..

NA Na NA...HACKING IS BAD
    Hackers are those you works to make tings better...well if you think hacker/hacking is bad just forget cracking is bad..spolling the things is bad.

ONE FUNDA OF A HACKER

:-[ LOOK EVERYTHING..BUT DO NOT TOUCH ]-:

So you can go inside a N/W but do not spoil anything, if you are not able to understand just logout with safe conditions

I hope everyone is agree with this :-)
    (-:IF U R A HACKER TRY TO BE ON POINT,IT SAVES TIME:-)

As many *real* hackers will say, hacking your systems is the ONLY way.

As mentioned before, you can setup up virtual networks with products such as VMware. This will give you some confidence as you progress in the hacking world. The next step is to build yourself a network. You can do this by using old computers that are lying around. You can either purchase used computers or head around town, asking companies if they are throwing out any computer equipment. Instead of them throwing it out, you can use it for your own network.

Once you've set-up the network, try installing different types of OS's. This will give you experience with the different OS's that are common place on the internet these days.

Besides setting up your own network, you could check out some wargames. These are USUALLY focused on web-hacking yet some sites offer other forms of hacking. Just remember to find out who is running the wargame. Whoever it is...well, they'll have a complete record of all the attempts made during the wargame and who knows what he could do with this information.

As long as you abide by the laws, you can still have tons of hacking without worrying if the cops are gonna knock down your door one day cause you hacked the CIA.

(Yeah right!)

Happy BHH (Black Hat Hunting) and Happy WHH (White Hat Hacking)