Thread: Remote Boot?

Remote Boot?

Hey everyone,

I work in a computer lab and we have learned we can remote shutdown the whole lab at one time. This makes it easy for us rather than shutting them down individually. We were wondering if there is a way to remote boot a PC without loading software. Here is what we use:
    Dell Optiplex GX260
    Windows XP Professional
    Please let me know if this can be done. It would be really helpful because we run more than one lab in this building.

wake up on lan - power on pc thru a lan adapter
    wake up on ring - power on pc thru modem
    take a look at your bios features and pc manual to see if ur bios support those.
    piece of cake

advice: restrict remote shutdown to avoid users "Playing" shutdown on each other
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check into it. Also, remote shutdown is restricted to administrators and a couple of power users on the network.

Im going to google this, but maybe someone could put this in better terms for me. I understand the concept of wake on lan, but how exactally does it work? I mean, when the computer is off, all of the cards (in this case, the NIC) are technicaly off as well, meaning they have no power, correct? So if thats the case then how does it send a signal to wake the machine?

-z3

I mean, when the computer is off, all of the cards (in this case, the NIC) are technicaly off as well, meaning they have no power, correct?
    -z3 [/B]
    No, its incorrect. Think about a common used feature, that you can power on your computer thru the keyboad (power key, space bar, whatever). If computer is powered down,how can you wake it up with a keystroke?
    If you remove the power cord, THEN the computer is REALLY powered off. Nowadays, the motherboard is (usually) allways powered on, as you can see on those "green leds" on it. Those leds are there (mostly) to aler you that MB IS POWERED!. So, a M/B with the proper BIOS can still maintain some devices (such as nic) powered (on a low powered state) just waiting some "special craft packet". When this occurs, the device will send an special "interrupt" to M/B that change the state from "low powered" to "power on". M/B will start regular power sequence and presto! The magic is done!
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Check this tutorial..

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=251235

The tutorial won't interest you but the attachment will

The attachment is a command line Wake on Lan Utilities Just get the MAC Address of a specific computer, be sure that the Wake on Lan option is turn on in the Bios (It's by default) and run the software with the mac address and your are in business!
    -Simon \"SDK\"