Thread: What makes google tick...

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Smile What makes google tick...

Hey gang,

long time no talk i know i know..... heh, ive just been a little busy lately. Anyway, i found this nice article that explains how google works. its a nice read so i thought i would pass it on to you guys.

The numbers alone are enough to make your eyes water.

# Over four billion Web pages, each an average of 10KB, all fully indexed.
    # Up to 2,000 PCs in a cluster.
    # Over 30 clusters.
    # 104 interface languages including Klingon and Tagalog.
    # One petabyte of data in a cluster -- so much that hard disk error rates of 10-15 begin to be a real issue.
    # Sustained transfer rates of 2Gbps in a cluster.
    # An expectation that two machines will fail every day in each of the larger clusters.
    # No complete system failure since February 2000.
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/soft...9168647,00.htm <-- Full Story

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Yes, but the real amazing fact is that those 30 clusters of 2000 computers are operated by Klingon pigeons.

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Googles servers are really nice from what I have read. I read an article, I can not remember what magazine it was in, but I want to say Maximum PC. I might be wrong though. Anyway...

It said they had the largest linux network on the planet. The network is all over the planet. Spread out evenly, so if that part of the world goes out. The rest of the world won't suffer. There were some other things said, I must say, the article made me really want to look at their source even more.

If I ever find the article I will see if I can upload it somewhere. To this date, it is the most comprehensive article I have ever read about googles, and there Algo's.

Googles servers are really nice from what I have read. I read an article, I can not remember what magazine it was in, but I want to say Maximum PC.
    I read that article too. I wanna say it was about six months ago in either Maximum PC or PC world magazine. I was actually thingking more PC world.
    I'll go through my box of mags sometime tonight and see if i can find it.

well i ve one question , how much do they pay these poor creatures! what currency are they paid in and do they get their lunch breaks and DA etc

man pigeons are really smart?i am real dumb.

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

The most important question that everyone should be asking themselves, is what does all this teach you about intelligence? The smarter you are the more dumb **** you can come up with to amuse yourself. IE... these guys are genuises so they can come up with as many dumb things to amuse themselves.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Hehe,

i guess when someone at google wants to have silly fun, or are generally in a really pissed off mood, they could changed the engine so that all search results include an extra '.' or similar so that none of the links worked

mmm, thats just really nasty ... lol, or perhaps i just dribble too much heh,

CTO

btw; Merry Xmas & Happy New Year
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

but seriously do pigeons really work for them ???? iam serious, lemme give a ring to the guys at the blue cross ( animal rights activist)

Originally posted here by yourdeadin
    but seriously do pigeons really work for them ???? iam serious, lemme give a ring to the guys at the blue cross ( animal rights activist)
    yeap, its serious. They've tried with monkeys and dogs but the only that reached that results were pigeons....
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.