make for suse 9.0

Thread: make for suse 9.0

make for suse 9.0

hey I have VMWare 4.0 and I'm trying to set it up for a fairly new install of suse 9.0. it's asking for the location of make on my system and I can't find it.... I know this is probably a stupid question but if I do a basic install of suse where would it be???
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn\'t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

hey while I'm at it... where can I track down a dvd codec for said os?
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn\'t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Developer Extraordinar
    Make should be at "/usr/bin/make", that's where it is on my SUSE Linux 9.1 system.

There should be one in YaST you can find. Just look up dvd codecs, or just dvd. Another option would be to SEARCH GOOGLE! You'll often find the answers you are looking for.

microburn
    Come to UnError.com

make and dvd codec

ok answered my own questions... never underestimate the power of www.google.com/linux...

that said, I'm going to post what I found here in case someone else wants to know how to do these things...

The installation of Suse 9.1 that I have is a personal edition apparently. means that certain files are not included.. What I ended up doing is adding a Suse server to my installation sources, allowing me to automatically search and add anything the cd doesn't include. Not to hard to do.

Yast ->Software->Change Source Of Installation->Add->FTP

server: ftp.suse.com
    directory: pub/suse/i386/9.1

Suse will now search for any missing files there too now when you look for packages.

Now for the DVD problem. Turns out the version of xine that I had did not support DVDs. no clue as to why but it didn't. so I went to xinehq.de and downloaded the newest version. run that with Kaffeine and it [gloworange]should[/gloworange] work