Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed Network Technology

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Help needed Network Technology

If a company has requirment of real time communication which involve video conferencing and interaction...... then wht type of LAN technology would be needed i mean is it gona work fine on 100Mbs LAN or we need GIGABit Ethernet......

OS windows 2003 and 2000 professional..... plus remote monitoring is already taking place on the network n as u r aware this really eat up ur bandwidth......

The communication or rather the data is comming frm a remote office thorugh wireless medium so wht type of wireless technology would be needed to accomodate such a communication im talking in term of bandwidth.......

WHich is best software currently available in market for this purpose .......
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

AO French Antique News Whore
    I just read something about that yesterday. The cost of GIGAbit Ethernet is not very high compare to the cost of 100 Mbs. I personally recommend jumping on the Giga Ethernet for your switch and router so you won't have to do it in 2-3 years. Not sure if you're building cabling is Cat 5E (Need to supported Giga Ethernet speed; plain Cat 5 doesn't work) but in my view, it worth it.

For your wireless stuff, any wireless protocol won't support video conference and interaction. The G and A protocol can do 55 Mbs but those really reach 55 Mbs or even close. My personal opinion is that trying to run video conference and interaction using wireless for network technology is shooting your self in the feet's. It's not fast enough. In reality, it will really depend how many % of your bandwidth is use now.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Ok abt GBLan fine thats why i choose it 'cause we have funds.... Abt WAN so wht should u recommend ......
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

I'm not very familiar about WAN technology but I would recommend at least a T1. How far ways are your remote office?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Are you looking to do multiple voice/video conferences at the same time, or only 1 or 2 a time?
    =

SDK Distance is not much less than 2 KM ..... but the problem is water ... its in b/w the two sites...
    cheyenne1212 Well its gonna be like video comming frm remote site others would certainly be watching it any query can be send through voice not necessarily the video is required frm them..... So sort of simplex communication of video but voice should be full duplux......

1) The best solution would be to physically make a wire between two sites. Not sure it's possible with the wires but you'll have to ask an expert of a company that do WAN network cabling. This solution will cost you a lot of $$ for one shot deal.
    2) You can try a private T1 or private ADSL between both sites. This will have the advantage of costing nothing to start but a cost a punch per month. Private T1 between both sites will be like having a wire between both sites but at 1.5 Mbs. This solution doesn't require a VPN that lower transfers speed with encryption and etc.
    3) At worse, public ADSL or public T1. This solution requires a VPN to be created across the Internet, your bandwidth depend on your Internet speed and you'll share your bandwidth with other service.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

At only 2k distnce, a T1 could be cheap compared to purchasing and maintaining the equipment. The support you would get is probably better than having someone on contract.

Then at only a 2k distance video conferencing is stupid business decision. It's a toy. They could be there in 2 minutes or you could just use an electronic white board and a phone call.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

First thing is that they are the Bosses if they say we want to give lectures from where we are then we must provide them the facility..... secondly n most importantly there is water in between two sites so they need boats to reach here. which look pretty awful to them.

So they are on an Island?

Toys are OK as long as they understand it's a Toy and resources will be thrown at it. My boss has toys, I have toys. Most of the time they may not understand that do accomplish what they desire requires a great deal of money, personel and time. For instance is it necessary to "see" the lecturer. What is he doing? Writing on the black board? An electronic blackboard or whiteboard would be infinitely more interactive and readable. If they just want some body in front of a camera for touchy feely things then you could stream that on a 56k link in low quality. While I agree the Boss or the user should drive the requirements, IT often thinks it should be the other way around but it would be a good thing to try and communicate limitations and feel out their true desires and approach alternatives. If they say, shut up and make it happen then just hire a microwave company to build a gigibit link across the water.

Why do I call it a toy?

Does your competition get a competative edge that requires you to do it?

Does it make your business process transactions faster?

Does it save time, money or resources?

Does the government or trade regulations require it?

If no then, hey it's a Toy.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.