Sound Off! 2004: The Year of...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound Off! 2004: The Year of...

Sound Off! 2004: The Year of...

This year, we're running a special year-end AntiOnline Spotlight (examples here, here and here) detailing the most troublesome computer/network security issues that admins faced in 2004 -- in your own words.

So fire away in this very thread! Rant and rave about the things that made 2004 the year you almost traded your career in IT for a peaceful, hermit-like existence in the woods.

If chosen, you (your screen name, rather) gets a mention in the article. The best post selected by the editors and mods will receive an AO Gift Pack, which includes a jersey, cap and mug.

We look forward to your stories and insight. Thanks for your participation in advance and good luck!

This thread will close on Wednesday, December 22, 5:00pm Eastern. The Year-End AO Spotlight will be published on Thursday, December 30.

Please Note: Offtopic posts will be deleted. No feedback, submissions only.
    Share on Google+

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hey! That's my next article topic.

Eh.. 2004 was the year of the Phish IMO. Second to it was spam. (I see a Monty Python skit coming out of this... )
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage
    Share on Google+

Banned
    Although I think this a fairly stupid idea... without a doubt I'd give it to sec_ware for this:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hlight=secware

Literally, one of the best and most informational tutorials ever written for AO.
    Share on Google+

You asked for it:

A few things that made me want to live amongst the squirrels this year.... Or at least choke someone until I felt better:

For one, this year has been a total head on assualt on Browsers. Everyone and their Microsoft employee brother has said to ditch IE, and they are correct, as it's still the most widely attacked browser, and for Microsoft practice tests, it's the only one you can use to get anything done at all.

I've heard the word Firefox so many times I want to set a fox on fire while I'm out in the woods away from the idiots of IT who aren't grasping this whole be secure thing.

At my college I go to all of the Desktops except a few labs or so worth are all on Windows XP Professional, and some are on Windows 98. The frist thing I did one day while coming to class was help the admins with the Worm outbreaks.... No one had patched the machines, so there were about 500 infections at least, and even though I told them to patch, no one listened, and when I tried to help, I pretty much got blown off because I'm not a "Professional".

The Hospital my Mom works at had some lovely Network numbnuts too, the Manager of IT is an idiot, and thinks that Windows 98 of all things should be fine where patient records are stored....

This alone had me wheeping.

And then, it happened again. My College had a huge outbreak that would put Resident Evil to shame. Half the machines had to be taken down for repairs, and not to mention the hardware wasn't looking good either. The fans were going in them because the "Bright" young people at my college think that a machine is just fine when you shove a pen into the cooling fans, or take the case off, take the machine apart, and play with things they don't understand.

I call it "drooling half wit" disease. I myself almost shot my cousin:

He bought a computer and within a month the thing needed to be reformatted.... He had 12 Trojans I found within 3 minutes fo scanning. He goes on Kazaa, downloads everything he can fnid, uses IE, doesn't EVER update or patch his machine, doesn't update the Antui virus, doesn't use a firewall, and needless to say I spent a long time figuring out what he had done.

He didn't even make the restore CDs he was supposed to make, which I TOLD him too make when he bought it. So there was no OS.

So he asks me to put Linux on and I agree to it.

I install Linux on his machine and he enjoys it, but again, doesn't patch, or btoher to learn anything.

He may be related to me but he's noe of the biggest computer idiots I know.

He blamed me for a couple of his computer problems one day and I said "Ohh dude, you don't even have Anti virus going, and you don't ever update, that thing is chumped up with Virii".

He replied saying "You're stupid, you go to college for this and you're still stupid, I have Anti Viru on there it came with Norton! So there!"

I snapped "You idiot, your Mom and Dad bought that thing 7 YEARS AGO, and the Free trial offer for Norton expired after 6 months!!!! That thing hasn't been updated in 6 years you moron, don't call me an idiot when you sit there playing on Kazaa all day and opening every email you get and then telling me it's OK because you have the same updates on your anti virii the Ark had."

He replied with "Oh, well I'm hungry" and left.

He didn't have to care about the machine, since I had installed a NIC, every problem it had thereafter was MY fault. Including when I somehow put a Virus or ten and screwed up the HD and File System by putting a NIC in the machine. We all know how dangerouse a NIC is and how common it is for them to carry malicious code.

It was NOT My cousin shutting it down with a hard shut down, clicking start and going to shut down was to much work, he just hit the power button when he was done, then he wouldn't let scan disk run, and even though I told him it would screw up, he said he ddn't care.

why should he, it was always my fault anyway.

So then his Linux machine gets attacked and I get blamed for it, so having enough and being a bit of BOFH, I logged into his machine over SSH as root, changed his home page to goatse, made the wall paper tub girl, and added links to both in his profile on Gaim.

I had great timing, his Mom wanted to check her mail when I did it so that was a GREAT laugh.

He kept on blaming me for everything, and a bunch of things I didn't even do, some of which aren't even possible, but they were my fault, so I got tired of it and logged in as root again, and started rebooting the machine repeatedly until he messaged me.

I said it was a bad power supply and if he paid me I'd fix it. He did, so I sent it back after not touching it, and said it was done.

Well he didn't want to pay em the rest of what he owed me so I again got tired of being blamed anyway so I had some fun:

Linux# cfdisk

Deleted all partitions, wrote it to the drive, rebooted the machine, and laughed. He called me up to say it wouldn't boot and I said "Well maybe if yuo weren't an idiot, learned how to use that computer like I told you to, and updated like I told you to, and paid me the money you owed me, you wouldn't have these problems" then hung up.

Of course he didn't stop there, he just started using his parents computer again. His computer now sits in a closet and he uses that Windows 98 machine now. It's STILL not updated, patched, or firewalled, and still hasn't been fixed, and his Dad was at work,.... His Dad is the one who thinks I screwed the computer up in the first place by installing a NIC.... So his Dad won't let me put windows 2000 Professional on the machine, because a "programmer" he works with says it's not stable and that Windows 98 is the most stable.... So of course his Dad starts calling me an idiot to because I don't agree that Windows 98 is the most stable OS in the world.

His Dad pointed out to me how the guy "You should see him program, he programs so fast it's amazing".... The guy probably played solitare.

So these people are related to me and I have to put up with that all the time, and put up with whatever they break so I stopped answering the phone a month or more ago, as they still have it in their tiny, tiny heads, that it's all my fault... I don't go over there, I don't answer them calling, nothing.

My Cousin only comes to me when he has a computer problem and so I tell him to pay for it and take it somewhere so he doesn't talk anymore.

Those are onyl a few off the top of my head that have made me angry this year. I have more, like at school, people install Yahoo messenger, and cheat on tests which means I can't use ti anymore at school because they were cheating on the test and so now no on is allwed too use it.

So I bring my Laptop to school.

another thing that makes me cringe, there is NO wireless policy at my school. If I really wanted I could walk around breaking nito whatever I wanted wireless style and not worry because there is nothing telling me not too.

My Security + class has talked about this a few times and it's kind of sad to see that crap.

I think I need some coffee, which is why I posted this, I don't care if I win anything, I just want the AO coffee mug and maybe a shirt.
    Share on Google+

;TT,

Granted a great tut, but a little off the mark. We're looking for the threats that made being an admin a soul-crushing experience in '04 Mainly stories, information and lessons learned. As such, postings to this thread should be fairly meaty, though not too long.

Though you've given me ideas for future events of this type... Thanks!
    Share on Google+

Originally posted here by phernandez
    ;TT,

Granted a great tut, but a little off the mark. We're looking for the threats that made being an admin a soul-crushing experience in '04 Mainly stories, information and lessons learned. As such, postings to this thread should be fairly meaty, though not too long.

Though you've given me ideas for future events of this type... Thanks!
    Give me a coffee mug or I'll make your life as an admin hell
    Share on Google+

gore,

That's more like it!

Originally posted here by gore

Give me a coffee mug or I'll make your life as an admin hell
    Why don't we see how this all shakes out before we raid the prize pack?
    Share on Google+

Let's not forget the Virus Storm which kicked off this year in around January with the arrival of

W32.Novarg.A@mm aka Mydoom.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ghlight=mydoom

DjM
    Share on Google+

Someone stole my coffee mug and I need a new one and finals are coming up so I'm broke until then. I have to wait until Finals before I can get paid to help people actually pass I had a kick ass mug and my Mom borrowed it because you could fit like half a pot in it easy and then someone stole it so I'm stuck with little cups

So I can RAID the prizes and SLED away
    Share on Google+

********** |ceWriterguy
    *shudder* Mydoom. My vote goes to DjM on that. Sorry Gore. (he deserves a coffee mug though...so do I as a matter of fact.)
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!
    Share on Google+