Thread: Comp. Infection Types

Comp. Infection Types

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway...
    Is there any solid classifications of comp. infections and if so what are they?

1. no such thing.

2. A computer infection is usually associated with virii, trojan or worm. Lately, this also includes spyware.

Maybe a bit more information would help us help you better.

This is what Microsoft has to say about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../avdind_2.mspx

Wow...that was really informative, thanks!
    There's just one more thing bugging me. What exactly is a parasite? I've looked through many websites giving out different definitions. Some sites say that a parasite was a combination of trojan, virus, and worm; while others state that parasite is just a term used to generalize all comp. infection types, mostly dealing with spyware and trojan.

Regal Making Handler
    A parasite is an organism that feed of some other thing.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi,

I would regard a "parasite" as being more of a hanger on, like spyware and adware. As opposed to viruses, worms, keyloggers and trojans.

Now technically a trojan is a program that is supposed to do one thing but actually does other things as well. This could be to load a parasite or more serious malware.

Parasites can produce unstable and poor performance. Produce annoying adverts and popups etc.

The only alternative terms for "Virus" is based on propogation. Now then, other terms you may run into infection-wise is appending, overwriting, & companion virii. You also have polymorphics. Never-mind other **** or what all of these dumbasses have to say...

Nihil, come on man wtf...

Regal Making Handler
    Sorry guys i meant orgasim ( or was it orgasiisism) %ckit , i never coulld spell.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry