Thread: Passwords > 14?

Passwords > 14?

Are passwords greater than 14 characters in NTLM security possible to crack with the help of PWDUMP2, CainAndAbel, LC5 or stuff like that?

Three of them are not able to import proper password hashes. *Remember* I have the administrator rights.
    There is no Gravity. Its only because earth SUCKS!!!

AOs Resident Troll
    If you have admin rights.....

Why dont you just "change" the password ???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Re: Passwords > 14?

Originally posted here by gess~da~devil
    Are passwords greater than 14 characters in NTLM security possible to crack with the help of PWDUMP2, CainAndAbel, LC5 or stuff like that?

Three of them are not able to import proper password hashes. *Remember* I have the administrator rights.
    IIRC the length of the password was simply no factor above 14 characters in NTLM because it would get split into 7 char sequences, and the attack had to be performed only on those.

The way I'd go about it is use pwdump to dump [] the password from the SAM hive then use JtR to test it, or if you are so able follow NeuTron's tutorial on clustering computers for this purpose.

If you have admin rights.....

Why dont you just "change" the password ???
    An admin can still test the security of the passwords for his own account and those of other users, be it a single machine.
    /\\

AOs Resident Troll
    An admin can still test the security of the passwords for his own account and those of other users, be it a single machine.
    Good point

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer