Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Students..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Stupid Students..

Since we have a thread about "stupied teachers" I think it's only fair that I get to whine about stupid students...

Case in point, today was my last lecture day for my Intro to Security class. I had two students from my Advanced class walk in while I'm in mid-lecture and begin to tell me why they were handing in their assignment to me. "Err... I'm lecturing...". They then look and realize.. oops.

It's even more fun when I have a full class and students ask if they can use a computer. To which I usually reply "You are more than welcomed to but this is the wargames. If they toast your machine, I don't want to hear any whining or bitching about it". Without fail, some poor soul who decides to stay get's hosed and whines to me... "MY FINAL REPORT!!!" can be heard from the backrow. (This is my problem why?)

I tell students when lecture "THIS WILL BE ON YOUR TEST/FINAL". When I hand out the test with a question that is specific to what I identified (e.g., name the 4 authentication types -- what you know, what you are, what you do and what you have) I hear "Miss, we didn't study this" (and gawd forbid they look at the colourful slides I did that has a specific slide to each question). Of course along with this is the line "We have an assignment due tomorrow?!!?" eventhough that has been up on the course website for 6 weeks, I've announced it in two classes and sent out an email.

I suppose I should be forgiving however. I mean the first semester I started teaching here I was thrown into Windows 2000 course. First question from a student was "Miss, do I need a hard drive to install the OS?"

There is a reason why we repeat things so many times... trust me.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Thank you for spelling "Stupid" correctly!

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

********** |ceWriterguy
    Back in my college days I got tapped by a professor to teach a 'continuing ed' course in 'introduction to computers'. My class was comprised of 35 students, ranging from age 50 to 75. The stupidity never goes away MsMittens... Thanks for the memories!

"This little picture is called an icon. It, and the others like it all live on the desktop..."
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Alright fair is fair. Don't forget students also have to put up with other students.

You got to love those people who feel they have to prove themselves to everyone else by constantly telling you how they have done something better.
    "Oh you install that P4 chip that's nothing i'm got my new AMD 64 and since it runs AMD is sooo much better at games." Please .

Then you have those people that are just plain dumb. The recent event was some kid pronoucing cache as casha instead of just cash. Oi!

Then there are those that just can't shower enough and are greasy.

Banned
    And those who can't follow a basic tutorial on how to install phpbb.

And those who can't follow a basic tutorial on how to install phpbb.
    and all those people who can't guide a person through a simple forum.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    and all those people who can't guide a person through a simple forum.
    A little bitter, are we?

Personally, I think we all have our "blond" moments, whether as a teacher or as a student. The trick is to have a giggle at it, continue to enjoy learning and find new things to be curious about, even if we go over it a thousand times.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hmm i'm seeing a lot of agreement here.
    I don't know about this if the student and teacher at peace this may cause sometype of catastrophic event throwing the universe into chaos.

Fair enough on both sides, but I would love to see more compromising between the two, and see some students accept it when they're wrong, and the teachers to get off their high horse and admit it when they're wrong.

well that's fair ennough i am a very stuipid student . al most all my lecturers tell me that