Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Google Compromising National Security?

Developer Extraordinar
    Could it be the the pages Google is indexing, arn't saposed to be "top secret"? I'm pretty sure the US Army would know how to secure their web servers more than that. Maybe they don't want you to get on the arl.mill site, but the others are public? Who knows... as for the program... I hardly think it's big deal. It came from the public portion of their FTP server, and doesn't do anyt hing important, apperently.

microburn

Riot, thats why I said Internal Networks.....

I do not need to be connected to the internet to move information between computers in my home network...catch my drift?

Banned
    The most basic way to keep Google from reaching information in a Web server, security experts said, is to set up a digital gatekeeper in the form of an instruction sheet for the search-engine's crawler. That file, which is called robots.txt, defines what is open to the crawler and what is not. But if the robots.txt file is not properly configured , or is left off inadvertently, a hole is opened where Google gets in. And because Google's crawlers are legal, no alarms will go off.
    I'm sure anything that is a threat to world security is tightly covered by the military. The leak of personal information - as scarey and threatening it may be to you - is nothing new... looking through a dumpster will spawn just as much information.

Yea like if you didn’t want a search engin to index something you would put it in a file and they would not index it from your site I forget what the file name is called at this moment.

Riot, thats why I said Internal Networks.....

I do not need to be connected to the internet to move information between computers in my home network...catch my drift?
    But what i am seaying is that their are us military bases all over the world that need information from each other maby its just me but that would be some long cable to run.

Banned
    Sending data over clients or through e-mail doesn't get caught by Google or other web crawlers. Encryption, SSL conections, and other various secure transfer methods will get data from base X to base Y without having it posted online.

FYI-

robots.txt shouldn't be considered a layer of security. A custy spider can easily ignore it.

And sensitive info shouldn't be put on / connected to the internet. If .mil messed up and there are sensitive doc's on the net, they probably would have been exploited by now.

Yea like if you didn’t want a search engin to index something you would put it in a file and they would not index it from your site I forget what the file name is called at this moment.
    robots.txt has been mentioned a few times already.

But what i am seaying is that their are us military bases all over the world that need information from each other maby its just me but that would be some long cable to run.
    Hmm...
    You do not need the internet to network computers. And yes, sometimes really long cable is used.

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    That particular program is not the point Riot. What extasy is trying to get at is that blocked websites are able to be accesses through other means of merely doing specific searches on google.

I think that clasified information is stored in offline/internal networks, instead of servers with access to the outside.

Riot, you would not get into trouble for viewing .mil websites. After all, thats what they're there for. You could get into trouble if you're nosy and try to access restricted information.
    I'm thinking you are right on when you say classified is stored in offline/internal networks. The government has it's own fiber network setup linking all the major mil installations, any classified info would be on these networks.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Remember, the government has recently removed lots of documents online that were once considered public knowledge, that they felt would help terrorists. So, data and it's classification changes on a day to day basis. Today's classified documents might have actually been onlilne some time ago.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

AO French Antique News Whore
    I suggest reading 3rr0r tutotiral : Google as a Hacking Tool

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=257512
    -Simon \"SDK\"