Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Google Compromising National Security?

Is Google Compromising National Security?

Ok, so I'm over at ICANN's website ( http://www.icann.org/committees/dns-...-statement.htm ) trying to get some information on Root DNS Servers.

One of the links I see is "Army Research Laboratory - Aberdeen, MD USA http://www.arl.mil "
    <<~~ Clicking on a the link brings you to a page that says:

Forbidden
    You were denied access because:
    Access denied by access control list.

Now I'm even more curious about what's on this site. At this point most of us would just say oh well, off to the next site, but there's actually a place to turn to. The Big G

I query Google to see the site's contents,( http://www.google.com/search?num=100...il&btnG=Search ) and sure enough, a ton of data? But is this classified information that's being served up on our popular search engines? On the second page of results I see pages with the words "missile simulation." so I'm sure the content really can't be too good.

Using this access control list makes clear that this Army Research Laboratory website doesn't want visitors from networks it doesn't trust. So who's handling our National Security here if webspiders easily index the content and make it public? I think that's pretty sad.

What do you think about the people who are handling our government's websites?

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Um I realy cant understand this i mean the goverment says it has all this security and still i can use google to find out what they dont want me to.

Banned
    Like what Riot? I'm sure whatever is on the internet is there for a purpose and is observed very closely if it is dangerous in anyway.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ex, did you actually try to open some of the links that popped up on Google? I tried a few of the .mil ones and got a bunch of nothing - 'not found' errors in abundance, zero classified info.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Originally posted here by |3lack|ce
    Ex, did you actually try to open some of the links that popped up on Google? I tried a few of the .mil ones and got a bunch of nothing - 'not found' errors in abundance, zero classified info.
    Sorry you got a bunch of nothing, I actually got results. When I searched, I was able to download what appears to be some type of C programming code.
    http://ftp.arl.mil/ftp/pub/dbcp.c <<~~Taken from the Google search result above. Does that return something for you?

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Not that i am stupid but um can any one fill me in if the know what the program is. Wounder if we cold get in any trouble for messing with this .mil site cuz i only use 1 proxy.

That particular program is not the point Riot. What extasy is trying to get at is that blocked websites are able to be accesses through other means of merely doing specific searches on google.

I think that clasified information is stored in offline/internal networks, instead of servers with access to the outside.

Riot, you would not get into trouble for viewing .mil websites. After all, thats what they're there for. You could get into trouble if you're nosy and try to access restricted information.

I'm not a programmer but looks like some form of text processor e-mail service ???

Wounder if we cold get in any trouble for messing with this .mil site cuz i only use 1 proxy.
    If it was somethign extremely secret it wouldn't be so unsecured, i wouldn't worry about it !
    O.G at A.O

I know that but i was just worndering if any one knew what it was it says for the V7 and i know a bunch of guys in the marines so i will ask them if they ever heard of the V7

Banned
    Originally posted here by PuReExcTacy
    Sorry you got a bunch of nothing, I actually got results. When I searched, I was able to download what appears to be some type of C programming code.
    http://ftp.arl.mil/ftp/pub/dbcp.c &lt;&lt;~~Taken from the Google search result above. Does that return something for you?

--PuRe
    Hahaha... attack code, ehh?