Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forgot router password

forgot router password

i recently changed my router password for some reason and now i cant remember it. the router is a dlink 704p b1 model and the manual doesnt mention anything about recovering/resetting the password except for a reset button, which apparently resets it to its factory settings. that would mean, according to the manual, that the pass should be admin/nothing, but its not working... anybody have any suggestions is it possible im not using the reset button correctly? im just holding it down for about 10 seconds with a pencil(its a pencil sized)

Well, you are doing it right. Try using something that can push it in further and hold it for longer.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

What?? " pencil(its a pencil sized)" I have never seen a reset that big. Mine on my D-Link DI-514 is just about paper clip sized. In fact that is what I use.

I slide it in the hole untill it reaches the back (get your mind out of the gutter, [add applicable name here]) and then press in. I feel a very light click at this point and then hold it for about 10 seconds and the router (rooter to our English cousins) is reset.

Are you sure your using the right hole (get your mind out of the gutter, [add applicable name here]).
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Paper Clips work wonders......
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

moxnix i think he is correct i have seen a bunch of devices and neavor seen a reset button bigger than a paperclip on computer related devices.

Originally posted here by Highlander
    Paper Clips work wonders......
    For sure. Every geek should have at least one in their toolkit.

I find them most useful to get cds out of cdrom trays that have no power.
    (computer not turned on or not in computer)

But the second most common use of them for me... reset buttons!

Mechanical pencils also work... but the lead often breaks off if you're not careful.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i actually hear a little clicking noise when i use the pencil, which made me think the button had been pressed... im assuming that the router should be on while i do this, im not really sure how long to hold the button for, but 10 seconds sounds about right. im gonna go find a paperclip real fast

i put the paperclip in there for a good 30 seconds and no luck. im pretty sure im pushing it in as far as it will go too

a google search revealed that there is probably a reset procedure that i have to follow using the button, but this crappy manual doesnt mention anything about that... im hoping the one i found here: http://www.computing.net/networking/...rum/22359.html works

the reset procedure worked ... they should really put that kind of stuff in the manual