Lightning Protection

Thread: Lightning Protection

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Lightning Protection

I am doing an article on protecting equipment from lightning. Does anyone have any data describing the differences between a station, intermediate or distribution class lightning arrestor or how they compare against TVSS (transient voltage surge suppressors) or proper grounding?

I wanted to create a graph or chart of some sort showing most protection to least protection, but I was looking for some data to use in creating the graph such as what is the max voltage spike that each of the solutions can adequately handle or something like that.

Any help?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Heya Tony - I've got a bit of data from personal experience if you'd like, but nothing solid like statistics or anything. In the year I ran my business, I had 2 lighting-related calls. Both were modems being fried through the phone lines which were unprotected. Both machines had basic surge protectors installed, neither had UPS or lightning arrestors. For some odd reason these 'average users' failed to use phone surge protection as well, to their own cost and my gain.

On the other hand, being the 'mad scientist' I am, my old legacy box is hooked to zero protection. I'm actually *trying* to get it lightning-fried to no avail - and I've been at this for about 10 months now, actively using that box during t-storms, connecting it to the web, the works. No luck. Funny how that happens - I mean, I know the odds of actually getting hit are pretty slim, but when you hang this lightning rod out the window with a big sign atop that says "hit here!" you'd figure *something* would happen... hmm. a lightning rod... I think that'll be my next step - wire it directly to the box and see if I can fry it then.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Tony, I don't have the time at present to go look it up (will later today), but if you go and find some ham articals on lightning suppression/protection, usually included in antenna theroy, you will find a lot of information about the different protection devices available fo ham radios. A lot of these methodes can also be used for computers and digital equipment.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Here is one page that may help you: http://www.boltlightningprotection.c...ing_damage.htm
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I'm not completely familiar with what you are doing, but from what I've read about surge suppression systems, this product is certified for IEEE catagory B3 (Harshest interior surge environment, expirences 100 surges of 6000V, 3000A a year). Basically by using non-sacrafficial parts (large inductor wired in series vs. MOV's connected in parallel), this thing can survive 1,000 surges of 6,000V @ 3,000A (as tested by UL) and keep on ticking.