XML and Shopping Cart

Thread: XML and Shopping Cart

XML and Shopping Cart

For my school project, i am thinking of using XML for my Shopping Cart application.

I'm a newbie to XML. AFAIK, XML can be used to store data and by using XSLT to format the output of the data and lastly, HTML pages to display the output to the user.

If i am going to implement a Shopping Cart application. I guess the use of database would be required to store the item attributes like id,name,prices,etc. With XML i will be able to store these data in elements, subelements. With the help of XSLT to format the output.

A few questions has been bothering me:
    [list=1][*]How does the XML store and display data from a database? If i am using JSP?[*]Can XML replace programming technologies like ASP,JSP,ASP.NET etc...[*]IMO, will it be an overkill for a simple project? [/list=1]

From my understanding, xml doesn't exactly store anything. It's simply acts as a method to describe and present data. If you are trying to get data being sent in an xml feed, you'll need to parse first, then you can do something with the data, store it in a database or present it to a user.

No, xml with not replace programming languages like PHP or ASP, but xml will work hand and hand with these technologies to manipulate data.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Originally posted here by PuReExcTacy
    From my understanding, xml doesn't exactly store anything. It's simply acts as a method to describe and present data. If you are trying to get data being sent in an xml feed, you'll need to parse first, then you can do something with the data, store it in a database or present it to a user.

No, xml with not replace programming languages like PHP or ASP, but xml will work hand and hand with these technologies to manipulate data.

--PuRe
    Hmm.. i am newbie can you explain parsing?