No Net access
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Net access

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Post No Net access

Got a phone call from my Aunty, asking me to look at her friends PC.

Problem :
    After downloading / installing / running AVG, they have been unable to access the net, and just get the 'no dial tone' message.

They have now deleted AVG.

System is XP home, 40GB HDD 2GB CPU

I couldn't find ANYTHING out of the ordinary.
    Yet still no access.............
    Put ISP CD into PC, and viola !! we are online setting up a second pay as you go account, all is fine until it finishes and asks you to click on the IE icon.

Have you guessed it yet ?

Same as before, no dial tone.
    Into 'my network places' and double click the account2 option, and click on the 'dial' button, gave me a fault code [not remembered] saying that I had been refused connection, maybe due to set up conditions ?
    and in admin tools, in security I saw two entries for IP Sec not gathered all services [not necessarily an exact quote]

Anybody care to point out where it is I missed 'it' ?

TIA.

[edit]
    I installed AdAware SE / SpyBot S+D v1.3 / CWShredder all run with very little caught, all minor.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Flash M0nkey
    do they have call minder (BT's answer phone service)
    when you ahve a msg waiting it gives you a different dial tone (like a bit of a tone then gap...bit of tone...gap..bit of tone...etc)

this can return a no dial turn error - did you check for it?

v_Ln

Just an update:

v_Ln
    Checked the line, called the number in the settings, got to the ISP modem noise.

Decided that the original ISP [Supanet] could be the problem, as in the AOL and ONLY AOL on this PC type problem. And maybe the AVG scan that was run on its installation had found / deleted something from the config for it ?

So, got a Virgin.net CD. Into the PC, goes into its start up routine, then just stops with the two icons on the desktop.........

I've brought this PC back home to play with, so put the CD into my system : straight into the 'dial up' window, continued till I cancelled [as I'm already on Virgin]
    The suspect PC is XP home SP1............ Out with the SP2 disc................it FAILED due to it being unable to confirm the integrity of some file [I've got no switch here, so have to power down each PC as and when I swap over, so file name forgotten]

I now suspect the XP install is corrupt, but I don't have XP home disc. DO have XP Pro.........

questions ]
    Would you agree that the install IS corrupt ?
    If so, what would you do next ?
    Can I use XP Pro disk to get to recovery console and install XP home files ?

TIA
    OLDER yes

Just to bring this sorry tale to an end :

The bloody RAM was bolloxed

128 DDR, yet only showing 96MB.
    Windows was running slow, and I never gave it a thought.

Lesson learnt : NEVER assume anything............

I fell into thinking that the last D/L MUST have done something.

Ah well : Alls well that ends well, only took a week to replace the RAM

I assume that as there was only the 96 MB available that the XP took EVERYTHING, and the modem was unable to access memory, and was therefore unable to work ?

Jeez : FIVE DAYS

Need a
    OLDER yes

Hi Foxy~

"Our "mate" Bill Gate$ tells me that Win XP will run on 64Mb, "with some loss of functionality"......I guess you just proved him right

128Mb is the "recommended minimum". I, personally, would not run it with less than 256MB or 512 if I wanted to use a lot of graphics and online games.

I have come across this with early P4 boxes. They typically shipped with WinME and 128Mb of RAMBUS RIMMS RDRAM. Bloody expensive, and has to be installed in matched pairs. The user upgrades to XP and starts experiencing all sorts of problems due to the lack of memory.

If you can get it, second hand memory is the cheapest solution, otherwise I replace the MoBo and go for DDRAM

I, personally, would not run it with less than 256MB or 512 if I wanted to use a lot of graphics and online games.
    I agree entirely on this; however the people involved are in their 70's, and spending is just NOT an option.

The system is less than 12 months old...............
    they didn't take up the 'extended' warranty option, so they have to access the 1 A MINUTE 'help' line.
    So far they have spent over 40 on useless phone calls.

They have to go via the help line, and NOT to the shop where they bought it from !!!!!
    The shop wants nothing to do with it [?] they say that the PC HAS to go back to the factory [100 miles away] at THEIR expense...............

They purchased the system from a store local to here, I am going to 'see' the manager tomorrow, to see if the useless turd has any Christmas spirit in him, and wring it out.........

I'll get them a 256 MB stick of RAM, to allow their grandkids to play Doom3 at a slightly faster frame rate than 'blinking'

Foxy on rampage
    :steam:
    :aaaaargh:
    :****tard:
    :: please could you help me with a little problem :TURD::
    OLDER yes

Hi Foxy~ what sort of RAM is it (type and clock latency) I may well have a stick or two kicking around in my workshop. If I have you are welcome to it for free.

Cheers

Johnno

Hi nihil :
    it's128MB DDR-266MHz
    PC2100U-25330.

I'm 'hoping' the shop manager will see the error of his ways, and that he will supply the required 256MB stick as a goodwill gesture - now PLEASE let go of my nuts - type of thing
    Might even 'tweak' him for 512

But if you DO have any spare, then that would be most appreciated.
    OLDER yes

Hi Foxy~,

How many slots does it have, and what is the make/model of MoBo? I certainly have PC2100, but will it support PC 2700?...........I might still have one left..................it was a design/graphics box...........I had to upgrade it to 1Gb RAM sticks ............I kept the "redundant ones" (as you do?)

Just the two slots.
    As for the Mo/Bo, it is in a TIME machine
    so take it as a basic one

CPU is AMD 2Gig

I didn't bring the PC home, so I've got nothing but my [faulty] memory to rely on.
    OLDER yes