Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My computer restarting unexpectedly

My computer restarting unexpectedly

My computer restarting unexpectedly when I'm trying to scan for viruses... My IE and WMP is not working now. I tried to do online virus scan but most of online virus scanner only accepts IE. I installed Netscape and tried to use Trend Micro Housecall. I downloaded the program to use it and my computer restarting unexpectedly again. Everytime I tried to scan for virus or playing online games, my computer will restarting unexpectedly. My computer works fine surfing online, download music or games, but it prevents me to use virus scanner. I tried to back up my files but I afraid my computer will restart again when I'm burning my important files. Please help me.

I'm using Windows XP. Pentium 1.5GHZ, 128 mb ram, geforce 2 mx video card.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Have you tried rebooting into safe mode with networking to do an online scan? And do you have an antivirus already installed? Why not use that first in safe mode and then use the online option?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Have you tried rebooting into safe mode with networking to do an online scan? And do you have an antivirus already installed? Why not use that first in safe mode and then use the online option?
    Yes I agree with MsMittens, try this first.
    Sir, we still need more details, Did you install something before your pc starts acting like that,
    or did you change your hardware configuration. We need more details pls.

all i can say is scan your pc at safemode and then try on normal and online scan,
    if no detected virus, it might be your hardware, I think check your HD capacity it might be full
    already that's the possible cause why your pc restarts or crashes,

thats all i can say.

post you later!!!

Hello,
    I tried to scan virus in safe mode, but my computer restarting again. Before that problem happends, I haven't install anything... I just leave my computer to download some movies and when I came back, my computer restarted and I got this problem. Till now, I can't check any virus >.<

Well you may have a malware problem, and you have been advised what to do.

Your most obvious problem to me is trying to run Win XP with 128Mb of RAM! I just isn't enough for intensive tasks like online gaming and probably virus scanning. This could well be the cause of the instability you are experiencing.

You really need to get more memory.

Good luck

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    could Sasser be the problem here? go to MS and dowload the patch for sasser
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I Don't think so Tex. He says:

Everytime I tried to scan for virus or playing online games, my computer will restarting unexpectedly. My computer works fine surfing online,

If it were Sasser it should kill him anyway? This sounds very much like a resource issue. I would be inclined to run AdAware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy in safe mode. Then try the AV, also in safe mode.

I have known systems become very unstable because they were choked with spyware & adware.

Banned
    i had the same problem with my comp restarting all the time when playing quake/starcraft etc. but
    i did some research and found out that norton system security 2002 + 2003 i believe its called was the problem. you cant uninstall it regularly, you have to have a bloody tool to do it. after i uninstalled norton2003 the restarts never occured again. norton was aware of the problem and never released a patch. instead they made a new version that you had to buy, which is why i wont buy norton again.

i agree with nihil with this one
    128 memory its just not enough for running xp.
    you didnt write which motherboard you have, but some motherboard like asus have little utility which will show you how much memory is in use(asusprobe)
    i had even problems when i played games with 256memory so i think buying extra couple stick(or try friends just to make sure-it takes just few minutes to test it.
    good luck.
    i would add for gaming video card is little bit old for a newer games

Well I got a system that runs on XP 128 SDRAM and never had such crashups ok but Trend Micro Pc cillin 2000 had some problems.Do these in order
    1.Boot Up In Safa Mode
    2.Get Rid Of Your Current Antivvirus
    3.Get Norton Av 2004
    4.Get The latest Updates form Other Pc/Internet(dont connect yours, you will have a pool of virus without av on ur pc)
    5.Boot in normal mode
    6.Press Ctrl+alt+del and see which process is consuming more memory ,end task for that
    7.Start the scan

If still problem persists contact The Forum -post a message we will be there.
    Note: The problem might be also for Ram but my Pc runs fine
    config
    p4 1.5ghz
    128 SDRAM
    40 Gb Hdd
    Ge force 2 mx Agp(64Mb Mem)
    And
    Kobian p4m266 NDFX Mtherboard
    Thank You