Thread: Missing "envdte.dll"?

Question Missing "envdte.dll"?

Like I said, this is my week for wierd stuff...

I'm trying to install Visual Studio .net 2002 on my Windows 2000 machine. A couple of hours later, installation gets into Disc 3, when this confounding error suddenly arises:

Error 1310.Error writing to file: envdte.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory.
    I'm logged in as Admin, so it's not an access problem.

So I ran a search on my entire C: drive for "envdte.dll". Nothing.

Any advice guys?

This might help?

I un-installed Visual XSLT the other day and it broke my Visual Studio.NET install. When I created a new Windows Application, VS.NET would fail to display Form1 in the Form Designer with the exception "File or assembly name EnvDTE, or one of its dependencies, was not found." I believe the problem was caused by un-installing Visual XSLT. Luckily the fix was simple.

Under the .NET Framework directory C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\ you will find the envdte.dll assembly. Copy this file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\IDE\ and you should be good to go. Of course you will need to adjust the drive letters based on your configuration.

It was missing, so I copied and pasted as instructed, but alas, the error message remains! Odd huh?

I did, however, uninstall an existing Visual Studio before trying to install this Visual Studio .net. Most curious!

Hmmmm,

I wonder if something has happened to the Windows installer?

You might try this:

Unregister and reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type msiexec /unreg, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click Start, and then click Run.
    4. In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.