Missing "envdte.dll"?

Thread: Missing "envdte.dll"?

Question Missing "envdte.dll"?

Like I said, this is my week for wierd stuff...

I'm trying to install Visual Studio .net 2002 on my Windows 2000 machine. A couple of hours later, installation gets into Disc 3, when this confounding error suddenly arises:

Error 1310.Error writing to file: envdte.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory.
    I'm logged in as Admin, so it's not an access problem.

So I ran a search on my entire C: drive for "envdte.dll". Nothing.

Any advice guys?

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    This might help?

I un-installed Visual XSLT the other day and it broke my Visual Studio.NET install. When I created a new Windows Application, VS.NET would fail to display Form1 in the Form Designer with the exception "File or assembly name EnvDTE, or one of its dependencies, was not found." I believe the problem was caused by un-installing Visual XSLT. Luckily the fix was simple.

Under the .NET Framework directory C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\ you will find the envdte.dll assembly. Copy this file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\IDE\ and you should be good to go. Of course you will need to adjust the drive letters based on your configuration.

If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

It was missing, so I copied and pasted as instructed, but alas, the error message remains! Odd huh?

I did, however, uninstall an existing Visual Studio before trying to install this Visual Studio .net. Most curious!

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Hmmmm,

I wonder if something has happened to the Windows installer?

You might try this:

Unregister and reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type msiexec /unreg, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click Start, and then click Run.
    4. In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?