Some of you may have read my previous posts regarding a small network I am required to set up as part of a networking / security project. I have reached a wall on this one and cannot find a solution, due mostly to my inexperience with NetWare. I have Googled and oogled and consulted every textbook I have available to me and am now blue in the face.

The internals of the network are unimportant. What is important is that I am required to set up a private network within my college network which is protect by a Novell BorderManager firewall. All clients within this network are set up with static IP addresses currently, and can communicate with the NetWare box. The directory tree is visible, and all clients can authenticate to it and home drives are mapped correctly.

The NetWare server is set up as a DNS proxy server, and internal clients are able to resolve DNS queries through it, whether to the school DNS servers or any other nameservers I specify on the gateway, so I am quite sure that the NetWare server has access to the Internet.

I have successfully set up a Slackware box as a gateway (otherwise acting as the IDS) to an RFC1918 network, so I know it is possible to set up a private network within the school network; there is no security preventing me from doing so.

However, I cannot access the Internet from anywhere behind the NetWare server / firewall. I am aware that NetWare, by default, turns off all security settings and everything must be specifically allowed for anything to work. To that effect, I have applied firewall rules at the top level context whilch *should* allow everything through the firewall (the security implications of this are at this point irrelevant; I simply want to get it working right now). NAT is enabled on the internal interface, and I have no reason to believe it is not functioning correctly.

Given that the server has access outside the school network, and that internal clients can communicate with the server, is there some obvious setting I am missing which is preventing traffic from going through the firewall? Remember, I have zero experience with configuring and administering NetWare servers, and could be missing something which is quite obvious to even slightly experienced administrators.