Thread: Is there a way to get phone number from IP?

Question Is there a way to get phone number from IP?

It was brought to my attention, that there is apparently a way to get someone's phone number by knowing the IP address of the DSL or dialup connection (obviously cable does not go through a phoneline, but could be possible). I was wondering if there was any truth to this beyond the need to 'dial-in' to machines waaay back when.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Of course there is.

Find the IP address, do a reverse WHOIS query and determine who the service provider is.

Show them your search warrant requiring them to surrender the applicable telephone number, and it's all yours.

Other than that, you're out of luck.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

In normal situations... no. Like Striek said.

However, if someone is on dsl or cable and has a domain name pointing to thier IP. (dynamic or not) They could have included thier phone number in the domain registration information. So, its possible that the phone number listed in the whois record is the real phone number. Most of the time it will be an 800 number or some other number of the hosting providers tech support line.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hi,

I can only comment for the UK. My ADSL is linked to my home phone line so my ISP could find it from their logs/customer records. My ISP is also my telco.

A similar process would have got my cable phone number in the past. This is because it was a composite service of TV, phone and internet. Once again, tied to my house.

A 56.6 dial up is the hardest, because you can use it from any phone line, and may not have given your correct details.

cheers

Well, any ISP should be able to figoure out what your phone number is.
    I gave it to them when I signed up. I give it to them everytime I call for support.
    Or, if you are on dial up... callerid will log which number you are calling from.

I think he was more or less asking...

"If I know nihil's ip address, can I find out his phone number?"

If I were to resolve your ip address... it might show what dhcp pool you're pulling from. That dhcp pool or whois record isn't going to show me a phone number that I can dial right then and there and have you pick up.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

There is no way for a normal person in a chat room or forum to find out your phone number from a random Cable/DSL/Dialup connection. They are pulling your leg. What is apparent is your use of personal information. They could search usernames on other forums for a phone listing, your IM accounts your email address, domain registration, customer databases they have access too etc. In no way is your personal phone number associated with any data connection past the DSLAM or Modem bank. Unless of course you tied it into a viop system somewhere. It just doesn't exist at least in the US.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Phishphreak had the idea, and RoadClosed had the answer. Thanks for the feedback.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.