Thread: IPCOP and Linksys wireless help

IPCOP and Linksys wireless help

Here is my issue, I have ipcop set as the gateway and i want it to be the dhcp server as well.
    I have disabled the dhcpd on the router and want the machines to be able to get ips from ipcop but it seems as though linksys feels it is not necessary to forward such requests.
    Any ideas on a fix? Id rather not disable the dhcp on ipcop and use the dhcp on the linksys.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

If I am to understand you issue correctly, your router sits between you and your IpCop gateway?

If so, I think you will find it very difficult forwarding DHCP broadcasts through a router. Routers are set, by default, to not forward broadcast traffic, and I have yet to see a broadband router capable of this. I know enterprise routers are capable of it, so it is possible, but likely not on the router you have.

I would think you have to use the closest router (either the IpCop box or the router) as the DHCP server, although with some fancy iptables work the IpCop box could likely be set to forward DHCP broadcasts.

<edit>
    Out of curiosity, if you have an IpCop system running, why would you need the router also? Or am I missing the entire setup of your network?
    </edit>
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    DS,

Why use a router AND an ipcop box ? Just plug in a secondary nic and you're set to go. The ipcop-box can do the routing for you as well as act as a dhcpd, firewall, IDS and other.

This would certainly solve you dhcp problems and certainly would make real firewall,IDS things real and funny, whereas your router stays in front of it it doesn't get the real hits, although the ids can still log alot.
    I know companies that rely on smoothwall (the other firewall distro).

If you need more help, you know where to find me

Anyway have fun,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

The router is a wireless router, and provides the only wireless access in the house, I believe.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Originally posted here by Striek
    The router is a wireless router, and provides the only wireless access in the house, I believe.
    Then wouldn't it be a better idea anway to put the IPCOP box in front of the router, as to keep your wireless net only sending out stuff you want? (so if someone gets access to you wlan, you can block them from doing anything from the IPCOP box)
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Well, I'm working on an assumption, because otherwise this should work, but don't plug your IPCop box into your router's WAN port, instead connect it to an available LAN port.
    Leave the WAN port on the router disconnected. This way it acts like a WAP instead of a WAP+Router. I have a similar setup here (albeit with a DLINK Wireless router), and wireless clients are able to get a DHCP lease from my firewall/dhcp server which happens to be a linux box.

I think that given you stated you are using your IPCop box as a default gateway, it's kinda self-evident that the IPCop box already has two NICs in it, but please put that question/assumption to rest.

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    Then wouldn't it be a better idea anway to put the IPCOP box in front of the router, as to keep your wireless net only sending out stuff you want? (so if someone gets access to you wlan, you can block them from doing anything from the IPCOP box)
    That won't work for getting DHCP from the IPCop box, and it really also depends on what you want in terms of trust between networks. If you want to trust it as much as you do your cabled machines and are using at least WEP+MAC filtering then you won't want to segregate the two.
    The other option is to divie the networks and route your wireless to your LAN, but you will have to settle for using the WAP as a dhcp server.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?