Which BSD?

Thread: Which BSD?

Which BSD?

Hey all, I'm wondering which BSD varient I should use. I'm an avid Linux user, having used SuSE, Redhat, Debian, and for the last 1.5 yrs Gentoo. I've got a second computer that I want to stick BSD on and mess/learn on. However, there are several BSDs I could use, such as FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, or DragonFlyBSD, and I'm wondering what other people have used and recommend. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

~netRealm

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I've played with a non-GUI FreeBSD and used it for my Snort box. And I happen to like it's simplicity particularly on my poor P100, 64MB of Ram, 3GB HD. Basically, this will extend the life of that computer pretty close to indefinately..

I've also had colleagues who swear by OpenBSD because of it's "default" secured-ness. Depending on what it is you want to get out of it, I'd recommend either of those. I think they are the more "common" variants of the BSD family.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks for the suggestion, MsMittens. I've got FreeBSD installing and I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons with it.

I've used Open and Free BSD..

For some reason the 'feel' of Open BSD was more me then the 'feel' of Free BSD..
    I felt right at home from the start.

Can't realy explain why thoug.. I'd have to ask my shrink
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !