Thread: ISA Server problem

ISA Server problem

Hi all,
    i m connected to internet thru ISA Server 2000 (which is placed at the administrators premises he is also the owner of the Internet Service Providing company). Couple of hours ago i was experiencing disconnectivity from the internet (when i tryped the url in address bar and hit enter the status bar showed that waiting for http://blahblah and nothing happened then). My ISA Server client was constantly showing that it is unable to connect to the SERVER. i tried to ping the SERVER the response was in 1000ms and some time there was a timeout. I visited the administrator and saw that ISA server was up and all other people were connected except me. I trouble shoot my system and nothing happened as i was not having any success. After that i changed my mac address and my Internet started working. Now my question is 'is there any method that ISA server administrator blocks me in a manner that i sometimes ping him or sometimes website loads and sometimes not).

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I've run into this before with another ISA server. If you ping it too much or attempt too many connections in a single time frame, it thinks it's an attack. Ask the admin to check the block IP list (don't know where it is exactly but I do know it does this). Remember that ISA has a built in IDS so it's connected to the firewall and changes the settings accordingly.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Well as you are in Pakistan and i am quite aware of how people configure ISA server..... so MsMittens may be your right here but i am sure this is not the case here....

Ok so you said you tried to ping the server address and you received response after 1000ms and also timeout ok..... and so you decided to visit the administrator this means that you are using a cable net ...... If yes did you paid the monthly fees or not If not then certainly he would have disallowed or rather block your MAC address..... And if you did then your relation with him may not be good some cold war going between two of you....

The answer lies in your question as you said when you changed the MAC address things get fine... obviously he would have blocked your MAC address for some reason you should sit with him and talk about this problem surely things will get fine.

About pinging the server well most of the administrators doesn't block normal ping at LAN interface. But if you are pinging the server with large packets then there may be the possibility that they block your MAC address. And i am sure the administrator would have noticed in the activity log that a certain IP address with MAC address XXX.. is pinging continuously.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

@Fanacool
    I pay the monthyly feee in advance i.e. in the start of each month. The other thing is that our administrator is not that capable that he blocks the mac address. Therefore Mismittens would be right.
    Anyway thanks to all.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Blocking a MAC address is not something great. As you mentioned the admin. is not "Cheetah" that capable then how come he has configured that IDS, 'cause i think normally admin. here dont know how to do this, configuring the IDS..... All they know is install the ISA start clicking the next next option and waalaa a poorly configured ISA server UP and works fine for the cable net......

P E A C E
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

If your in an Active Directory domain changing the mac address should not help much since your using your domain credentials.

MsMittens could be right, but from what I have seen with ISA 2000, it does not automatically block the IP address. They may of changed this in 2k3 though.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)